Mar 10, 2014, 9:35 AM EST
Kevin Durant leads the NBA in points per game (31.7) and usage percentage (32.7).
But even though his scoring average is the league’s highest in nine years, his usage rate falls far below what’s typical for such a big scoring load. In fact, the only precedents are Michael Jordan in 1988-89 and George Gervin in 1979-80.
In other words, Durant shooting even more – even if those extra shots are relatively inefficient – would make him more similar to history’s other high-end scorers.
And that option remains on the table for him.
Oklahoma City Thunder coach Scott Brooks, via Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com:
“Let’s face it: If he wanted to score a bunch of points or more than he’s scoring now, he really could do that,” Brooks said before the Thunder played the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday. “His assist level has gone up, he impacts the game. Defensively, he impacts the game. He can guard 1 through 5. So a lot of things that he does (are) all about the team.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
You know who could score more than they’re currently scoring? Every player in the NBA who gets on the court. They all have the ability to hijack their team’s offense, at least temporarily.
Durant and LeBron are two who could do so without consequence, but neither are the selfish players who’d do that, which is part of the reason both are having such great seasons.
As they come down the homestretch of what has become a tight MVP race, let’s focus on what they do, not what they could do.
- Pistons release Josh Smith. WHAT? 32
- Lakers may give Kobe Bryant some nights off to rest. If he wants them. 24
- PBT’s Sunday Night Winners/Losers: Anthony Davis is playing like an MVP 11
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 7
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 20
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 14
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10