Mar 10, 2014, 9:35 AM EDT
Kevin Durant leads the NBA in points per game (31.7) and usage percentage (32.7).
But even though his scoring average is the league’s highest in nine years, his usage rate falls far below what’s typical for such a big scoring load. In fact, the only precedents are Michael Jordan in 1988-89 and George Gervin in 1979-80.
In other words, Durant shooting even more – even if those extra shots are relatively inefficient – would make him more similar to history’s other high-end scorers.
And that option remains on the table for him.
Oklahoma City Thunder coach Scott Brooks, via Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com:
“Let’s face it: If he wanted to score a bunch of points or more than he’s scoring now, he really could do that,” Brooks said before the Thunder played the Los Angeles Lakers on Sunday. “His assist level has gone up, he impacts the game. Defensively, he impacts the game. He can guard 1 through 5. So a lot of things that he does (are) all about the team.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
You know who could score more than they’re currently scoring? Every player in the NBA who gets on the court. They all have the ability to hijack their team’s offense, at least temporarily.
Durant and LeBron are two who could do so without consequence, but neither are the selfish players who’d do that, which is part of the reason both are having such great seasons.
As they come down the homestretch of what has become a tight MVP race, let’s focus on what they do, not what they could do.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 18
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 37
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85