Mar 10, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
It’s pretty incredible Korver kept the streak going so long, considering shooting 3-pointers is nearly his entire role. You’d think at least one opposing team would successfully stick a defender on him beyond the arc for a full game.
Alas, maybe one coach took that repeatedly failed challenge personally.
Kyle Korver told Yahoo Sports he heard “a rumor” that a coach offered money to his team if they stopped his 3-point streak
Was that coach Mike Budenholzer? Because no coach did a better job of halting Korver’s streak than the Hawks coach.
Budenholzer kept Korver on the bench during the entire fourth quarter of a blowout loss to the Trail Blazers on Wednesday, preventing Korver from getting more chances to overcome his 0-for-5 start from beyond the arc. Korver could have made a 3-pointer earlier, but Budenholzer ensured the streak ended.
Assuming it was actually an opposing coach, though, does this constitute circumvention?
Unless the coach was Portland’s Terry Stotts, I doubt the NBA would punish a coach for planning to – but not actually – circumventing the salary cap.
But even if the coach made the payment, the amount would likely be key. I would be shocked if the money involved were significant enough to draw the league’s attention.
The NBA doesn’t regulate a coach taking a player out to dinner the way, say, the NCAA would. Teams have a little allowance for compensating players beyond what’s specifically laid out in their contracts.
And as long as the coach wasn’t encouraging his team to play dirty with Korver, this doesn’t resemble the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, either.
The NBA should poke around to make sure everything here was on the up and up, but I suspect the investigation would end without any consequences for anyone.
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 0
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 40
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 53
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 14
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 17
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 44