Mar 10, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
It’s pretty incredible Korver kept the streak going so long, considering shooting 3-pointers is nearly his entire role. You’d think at least one opposing team would successfully stick a defender on him beyond the arc for a full game.
Alas, maybe one coach took that repeatedly failed challenge personally.
Kyle Korver told Yahoo Sports he heard “a rumor” that a coach offered money to his team if they stopped his 3-point streak
Was that coach Mike Budenholzer? Because no coach did a better job of halting Korver’s streak than the Hawks coach.
Budenholzer kept Korver on the bench during the entire fourth quarter of a blowout loss to the Trail Blazers on Wednesday, preventing Korver from getting more chances to overcome his 0-for-5 start from beyond the arc. Korver could have made a 3-pointer earlier, but Budenholzer ensured the streak ended.
Assuming it was actually an opposing coach, though, does this constitute circumvention?
Unless the coach was Portland’s Terry Stotts, I doubt the NBA would punish a coach for planning to – but not actually – circumventing the salary cap.
But even if the coach made the payment, the amount would likely be key. I would be shocked if the money involved were significant enough to draw the league’s attention.
The NBA doesn’t regulate a coach taking a player out to dinner the way, say, the NCAA would. Teams have a little allowance for compensating players beyond what’s specifically laid out in their contracts.
And as long as the coach wasn’t encouraging his team to play dirty with Korver, this doesn’t resemble the New Orleans Saints bounty scandal, either.
The NBA should poke around to make sure everything here was on the up and up, but I suspect the investigation would end without any consequences for anyone.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80