Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT
Joakim Noah is playing like the kind of guy whose name could fit into one of the four or five spots on an MVP ballot — it’s LeBron James and Kevin Durant 1-2, then a number of guys could make a case. Noah is one of those guys as he has been the focal point on offense and defense of a Bulls team that is the third best team in the East.
Excited Bulls fans have taken to chanting “M-V-P” when Noah gets to the free throw line.
And he doesn’t like it.
“I don’t like it,” he said. “No, I don’t like it.”
“Because our MVP is not playing. We have one MVP, and that’s Derrick Rose. And it’s not about MVPs, it’s about rings, and one day I hope that we can get one here.”
“That’s all I want,” Noah said of winning NBA titles. “I don’t care about none of that stuff.”
You have to admire Noah’s attitude. Even if he just cribbed Tom Thibodeau’s notes. Not that it’s going to stop Bulls fans.
And he’s right, this team as constructed can beat the Heat for a game on Sunday, but they are not taking a seven game series from them without the offense Rose provides. He was NBA MVP for a reason.
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 10
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 7
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 0
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 16
- Cavaliers GM admits concerns about rim protection on defense 18
- Coach K had DeMarcus Cousins as USA’s backup big long before final cuts 6
- World Cup preview: No Durant, no problem USA still one of two teams with legit shot to win gold 6
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 34