Joakim Noah doesn’t like hearing “M-V-P” chants from Bulls fans

Mar 10, 2014, 1:49 PM EDT

Chicago Bulls v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

Joakim Noah is playing like the kind of guy whose name could fit into one of the four or five spots on an MVP ballot — it’s LeBron James and Kevin Durant 1-2, then a number of guys could make a case. Noah is one of those guys as he has been the focal point on offense and defense of a Bulls team that is the third best team in the East.

Excited Bulls fans have taken to chanting “M-V-P” when Noah gets to the free throw line.

And he doesn’t like it.

That’s what he told Bulls.com (via SLAM).

“I don’t like it,” he said. “No, I don’t like it.”

“Because our MVP is not playing. We have one MVP, and that’s Derrick Rose. And it’s not about MVPs, it’s about rings, and one day I hope that we can get one here.”

“That’s all I want,” Noah said of winning NBA titles. “I don’t care about none of that stuff.”

You have to admire Noah’s attitude. Even if he just cribbed Tom Thibodeau’s notes. Not that it’s going to stop Bulls fans.

And he’s right, this team as constructed can beat the Heat for a game on Sunday, but they are not taking a seven game series from them without the offense Rose provides. He was NBA MVP for a reason.

The more interesting question may be do the Bulls need Carmelo Anthony to win an NBA title, and at what price to acquire him (trading Taj Gibson)?

1. nycalldayz - Mar 10, 2014 at 1:54 PM

I find that hard to believe. I don’t think it’s about Noah not liking, but he probably don’t think much of the M-V-P chants.

• spthegr8 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:49 PM

Noah is one of my favorite players league, if not my favorite.

• jonevans511 - Mar 10, 2014 at 4:30 PM

thats cute

• spthegr8 - Mar 10, 2014 at 6:08 PM

^^^^ Didn’t post it for your approval ^^^^^

• jimeejohnson - Mar 10, 2014 at 8:05 PM

Yes, you did.

• spthegr8 - Mar 10, 2014 at 8:25 PM

@liljimmie
        I’ve never seen you post anything of basketball Relevance. Just corny joke’s or lame A$$ one liner’s that NOBODY finds funny but you, apparently.

2. moseskkim - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:15 PM

I’m simply amazed at Noah. I know he always plays this way but on Sunday against the heat, it’s official. He’s my favorite player (2nd to kobe but he’s been gone too long). He plays with so much passion and heart. Absolutely amazing. His offense has improved immensely and perimeter and inside D is unparalleled. Amazing player.

3. goldmember21 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM

It makes sense. I wouldn’t want to be called MVP if I sucked..

• spthegr8 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:50 PM

@goldmember
      No, you don’t make any sense!!

• stayhigh_247 - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:16 PM

you do suck, hence why we don’t call you mvp

4. getlow81 - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:19 PM

You can tell that Noah and the rest of the team truly believes in Derrick Rose. That’s the spirit that has allowed them to outperform their expectations without him the past couple years.

However, regarding your statement about the Bulls needing Carmelo…actually the Bulls would be better off signing Mirotic, Stephenson, and whoever they draft rather than giving away Taj (Along with Dunleavy at least) and missing out on the two guys I just mentioned. Stephenson will win most improved player this year, is only 23, and is one of the better 2 guards in the league. It would also allow Butler to move to SF, his natural position, and then the addition of Mirotic, the best Euroleague player and who would be a “Top 3″ pick according to some GM’s in this years draft.

I’d take my chances with their potential in that situation rather than giving anything near the max for a 30 year old Carmelo Anthony. Would he help? Yes. But Taj may be one of the biggest bargains in the league once he’s starting full time next year being paid only about 8 mil per year.

• gostlcards5 - Mar 10, 2014 at 3:01 PM

I think the Pacers will sign Stephenson. This priority is one of the reasons that they traded Granger.

• getlow81 - Mar 10, 2014 at 4:20 PM

Not really, Granger was going to be a unrestricted FA anyway. If anything, it gave the Pacers a backup decision to just sign Evan Turner instead of Stephenson.

Plus, Paul George’s max contract kicks in next year in addition to Hibbert having a max contract, David West making $12 million, and George Hill making $8 million. I don’t see that team spending another 9-11 million per season on Stephenson. They’ll be screwed by the luxury tax down the line if they sign another big contract.

5. calkinsrob - Mar 10, 2014 at 2:22 PM

As much as I hate how people hate on D. Rose too much, Noah has clearly taken over the team imo. The way he battled through his issues with plantar fasciitis over the past few seasons, and his attitude and overall progress as a player has really made it fun to watch. None of us really know, but Id say Noah is the leader of this team.

6. nicofthenorthstar - Mar 10, 2014 at 4:07 PM

The Wolves wanted Corey Brewer in that draft. Couldn’t believe it then, still bugs me.
    But then again, it’s the Wolves.

7. evenbetterthancorinne - Mar 10, 2014 at 5:45 PM

I like Noah a little less now. It’s great that he respects DRose, but don’t denigrate yourself because he’s a better player in his prime. Noah would never sit out the way Rose did regardless of whether or not Rose made the right decision.

8. retxedfred - Mar 10, 2014 at 7:55 PM

Last time I checked, the Raptors are the 3rd best team in the East. Ahead of the Bulls by 2 fewer losses.

• drewdatwit84 - Mar 11, 2014 at 12:16 AM

The bulls have had a comparable record to the Heat and Pacers in the East since 2014 began. that’s why they’re regarded as 3rd best.

9. Kevin S. - Mar 11, 2014 at 7:56 AM

The reason Rose was MVP is the voters got tired of giving it to LeBron. LeBron turned around and stolr Rose’s MVP, his manhood and his lunch money in the playoffs that year.

The list of championship contenders
Top 10 NBA Player Searches