Mar 10, 2014, 4:05 PM EDT
While you have been busy mocking him Anthony Bennett has shown some signs of improvement — in his last 15 games he has averaged 6.7 points a contest, shot 47.5 percent and played 15 minutes a night. No, even so he is not exactly living up to his No. 1 overall pick billing from the last draft, not by a long shot. And yes, those numbers declined a little in recent games. Still, he has had a couple double-doubles and finally started to get into shape, enough so that maybe you can start to see a rotation player in there. Maybe. Which is better than his insanely poor start to the season, one of the dominoes that helped get Cavaliers GM Chris Grant fired.
However, now Anthony’s nightmare season continues — he will be out at least three weeks with a patellar tendon strain in his left knee, the team announced Monday.
He will miss more than 10 games. If your thought is “they should just shut him down for the season” they might, but for this guy every bit of on-the-court time can help mature his game, so if you can safely get him back in the final handful of games you likely do it.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $70,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Bennett’s role and minutes have been reduced as the Cavaliers’ coach Mike Brown has put a lineup with Spencer Hawes, Tristan Thompson and Luol Deng out as much as he could. Bennett (along with Tyler Zeller) has gotten some minutes off the bench. Now you may see more Alonzo Gee.
Bennett needs a lot of run in Summer League and through the next training camp — he needs to commit to conditioning and work on his game, then we’ll see just how big a mistake this pick really was.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 32
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 32
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23