Zydrunas Ilgauskas has jersey retired by Cavaliers (VIDEO)

Mar 8, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT

The Cavaliers raised the jersey of Zydrunas Ilgauskas to the rafters on Saturday, following a ceremony at halftime of Cleveland’s matchup with the Knicks.

Ilgauskas delivered a speech and thanked the fans as is customary at these events, and LeBron James was in attendance to honor his former teammate, who had requested his presence.

The players wore commemorative shooting shirts and patches on their jerseys to mark the occasion, and Ilgauskas became the seventh Cavaliers player to receive the honor, joining Austin Carr, Brad Daugherty, Larry Nance, Mark Price,  Bingo Smith and Nate Thurmond.

1. eugenesaxe1 - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:05 PM

Good deal.

2. digbysellers - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:14 PM

Nothing wrong with a little bingo…first person to name the movie gets $2.48 plus half of my kit-kat.

3. jamesk2465 - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:16 PM

Mike Brown gotta be one of the worst coaches in the NBA

• cantonbound13 - Mar 9, 2014 at 4:42 AM

No. Mike Woodson is.

4. antistratfordian - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:36 PM

Cool.

5. beach305 - Mar 9, 2014 at 12:51 AM

Now we get to hear endless speculation on ESPN about Lebron going back to Cleveand.

I feel bad for Cav’s fans, who get snookered into that yarn.

6. unfly - Mar 9, 2014 at 1:04 AM

Cleveland is one of the few franchises that would have retired this guy’s number.

7. stephenolszewski - Mar 9, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Unfly, I think this jersey retirement is more about the story Z could’ve retired and been just another injury filled career instead he had a nice career. I feel it’s stupid as well as much as I love Zydrunas but don’t feel it’s worthy of a jersey retirement. Also Dan Gilbert is trying anything and everything to get LeBron back, I guarantee once he’s in town to talk about a return they’ll bring up how his jersey can be raised into those rafters as well if he finishes what he started in Cleveland.

8. ovaw8lova - Mar 9, 2014 at 10:00 AM

Just shows the state of the franchise that Z gets his jersey retired. Brad Daugherty, Larry Nance and Mark Price I get it. Z was never considered a great player. I understand he and Lebron are good friends and on some level that may factor into a possible return to Cleveland but come on man. I love my Miami Heat and they have had some good players over the years but they have it right. Alonzo Mourning and Hardaway are the only jerseys that should be retired. The Jordan thing is comical but I understand. Wade will have his jersey retired there as well and if Bosh stays past this year so will his.

9. onereasonableman - Mar 9, 2014 at 10:02 AM

Major thumbs down to Wayne Embry, the guy who drafted him, mispronouncing his name THREE TIMES in his opening remarks.

Wayne, it isn’t, “Zydrunas Ilgaukas” – throw an “S” in there big guy.

SMH

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches