PBT Podcast: Talking Showtime Lakers with author Jeff Pearlman

Mar 8, 2014, 8:00 AM EST

Pat Riley and Magic Johnson Game Portrait Getty Images

Earlier this week I gave you a few highlights of my conversation with author Jeff Pearlman, who has a fantastic new book out on the Showtime era Lakers.

Now, I bring you our entire conversation.

In this latest edition of the PBT podcast myself and Eytan Shander of NBC Sports Radio discuss Phil Jackson and his flirtation with the Knicks, then we get into the trouble that Mike D’Antoni faces with the Lakers. Bottom line, the Lakers will be showcasing Kobe Bryant the next couple years, and with his post up heavy game D’Antoni’s system strikes me as a bad fit.

Then we do almost 20 minutes talking Lakers with Pearman, talking everyone from Magic Johnson to Frank Brickowski.

As always, you can listen by hitting play below or  you can listen and subscribe via iTunes.

1. thevikesarebest - Mar 8, 2014 at 9:44 AM

The lakers=sixers of the west.lol they are so damn bad.i love it!

• sportsfan18 - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:22 AM

yeah, for such a proud franchise with A LOT of success, they don’t know how to lose with grace.

Their fans should be humble with all these losses knowing the history of their team, its pedigree etc…

One shows their true self when the chips are down and the Lakers fans are crying, bitching, moaning etc…

• musician0785 - Mar 8, 2014 at 1:08 PM

For all the laker bashers claiming that fans are “crying and whining” i never really see any. I see more fans upset about the coach, and understanding the lakers will have to be bad before they can be god again. If I’m wrong about this..show me in quotes and links…..but you wont…..because you cant….oh and if you’re hoping that this losing season will humble laker fans….keep dreaming, you dont wipe away the memory of all those winning seasons, and titles with one or 2 bad years….sorry

• musician0785 - Mar 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM

good again*

• jimeejohnson - Mar 8, 2014 at 11:38 AM

Vikings don’t care for L.A.: too hot.

• musician0785 - Mar 8, 2014 at 1:01 PM

way to stay on topic

2. jimeejohnson - Mar 8, 2014 at 3:03 PM

Showtime with Pat Riley currently playing in Miami, FL.

3. billtetley53 - Mar 8, 2014 at 4:02 PM

Yet another post from musician NOT discussing basketball….surprise, surprise.

Musician, type in your screenname and pbt. Here you will find a plethora of articles you have whinily posted on.

I’m not going to do your work for you.
    I have to read your crying on here all the time, I’m not going looking for it to read it again.
    Talk basketball or stfu! You seem to think you are required to comment to everyone’s bashing.

By the way, your arrogance as a fanbase is why people take great pleasure in rubbing your face in it. You’re pitiful.

• musician0785 - Mar 8, 2014 at 5:45 PM

so what you’re saying is….you googled me?

I wasn’t aware that calling out the faulty premise, that laker fans whine and cry (a premise you subscribe to I might add) was in fact whining and crying…..how ironic that the guy who says I dont discuss basketball, comes on an article ONLY to discuss…fans…..not the game….fans….the fact that you take pleasure in “rubbing your face in it” is in itself….pitiful/

all you do is wait for me to post something and then you say “See! He’s whining” without any substance…..typical trolling

4. billtetley53 - Mar 9, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Didn’t you say “it wasn’t worth it” responding to me? Yet here you are again….

Dummy.

• musician0785 - Mar 9, 2014 at 5:37 PM

Dummy, crybaby…..do u have any insults that aren’t used by 5 year olds?

5. billtetley53 - Mar 10, 2014 at 10:34 AM

This is too funny musician. You just can’t help yourself in responding to me, can you?

You know I’m a “troll”, yet you still feed into it.

Now youre whining because of the names I’m calling you?!

If the shoe fits, then wear it.
    You are dumb, you do cry, and you are a baby.

• musician0785 - Mar 12, 2014 at 10:08 PM

You really don’t know what the word whining means do you? And for a guy who doesnt know how to respond to the comments, so he just starts another comment……you shouldn’t be calling anybody dumb

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches