Mar 8, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT
Paul Pierce is finishing out his Hall of Fame career with the Nets at the moment, after playing 15 seasons with the Celtics and rising to the top of many of the franchise’s all-time statistical leaders lists.
Pierce returned to Boston for the second time this season wearing a different jersey on Friday, but he’ll be a free agent this summer. And he hasn’t yet ruled out a return to the Celtics.
Yeah, why not?” Pierce said when asked if he would possibly play for the Celtics again. “Maybe as a player, maybe as a coach. Who knows what the future holds?”
The 36-year-old Pierce scored 10 points in 33 minutes in a game in which the Nets trailed by a large margin for most of the night. But with the possibility that an injured Kevin Garnett will retire, Pierce could see himself looking for a new home again when he becomes a free agent this summer. …
“I am going to still have relationships here. I’m always going to come to this city. Every year, when I’m done, I’m going to have a reason to come here.”
Pierce has said previously he may want a front office role with the Celtics, and said Friday that he would like to open some businesses in the area in the future.
It would be difficult to envision Pierce returning as a player to this rebuilding Celtics squad at this late stage of his career — after all, that’s partially why he and Kevin Garnett were traded over the summer, along with the large salaries tied to those superstar contracts.
But it’s clear Boston remains special to Pierce, so it wouldn’t at all be a surprise to see him turn up with the franchise again in another official capacity.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 0
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 8
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 4
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 5
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 5
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3