Mar 8, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:20 p.m.: Batum’s nose is not broken after all, according to an updated CSNNW.com report. It’s being called a nasal contusion, and it hasn’t yet been determined if it will require a protective mask.
4:30 p.m.: Well, we know he can’t wear a black mask to protect his face going forward.
In the third quarter Monta Ellis drove the lane and used his off arm to clear out space, and in doing so incidentally elbowed Batum in the face.
Batum was immediately rushed after the game to get a checkup and the results came back as expected considering he had a noticeable dip in the center of his nose. The team will now seek a protection covering in advance of Sunday’s game against the Houston Rockets, (Batum’s agent Bouna) Ndiaye said.
Batum is a solid wing player for Portland who has averaged 12.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 5.2 assists a game this season, plus he is a long and athletic defender.
He is not expected to miss any time. The Trail Blazers could use him — they are basically tied with the Rockets and Clippers (all 3.5 games back of conference leader Oklahoma City) and having home court in the first round will require some improved play over the 6-4 Portland is in its last 10.
- PBT Extra: Did Chicago make the right move in firing Thibodeau? 22
- Bulls front office on Tom Thibodeau firing: “We probably wouldn’t be sitting here if we won a championship” 11
- Bulls fire Tom Thibodeau 62
- Dwight Howard: “I’m still a champion. And I won’t let anyone tell me anything different.” 71
- Rockets had an excellent season. Are they content with that? 23
- Harden struggles, Warriors role players step up leading team to Finals for first time in 40 years 42
- Dwight Howard hit with suspension-triggering technical foul 7
- PBT Extra: Cavaliers’ improved defense helps them to Finals 8