Mar 8, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:20 p.m.: Batum’s nose is not broken after all, according to an updated CSNNW.com report. It’s being called a nasal contusion, and it hasn’t yet been determined if it will require a protective mask.
4:30 p.m.: Well, we know he can’t wear a black mask to protect his face going forward.
In the third quarter Monta Ellis drove the lane and used his off arm to clear out space, and in doing so incidentally elbowed Batum in the face.
Batum was immediately rushed after the game to get a checkup and the results came back as expected considering he had a noticeable dip in the center of his nose. The team will now seek a protection covering in advance of Sunday’s game against the Houston Rockets, (Batum’s agent Bouna) Ndiaye said.
Batum is a solid wing player for Portland who has averaged 12.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 5.2 assists a game this season, plus he is a long and athletic defender.
He is not expected to miss any time. The Trail Blazers could use him — they are basically tied with the Rockets and Clippers (all 3.5 games back of conference leader Oklahoma City) and having home court in the first round will require some improved play over the 6-4 Portland is in its last 10.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 19
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5