Mar 8, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:20 p.m.: Batum’s nose is not broken after all, according to an updated CSNNW.com report. It’s being called a nasal contusion, and it hasn’t yet been determined if it will require a protective mask.
4:30 p.m.: Well, we know he can’t wear a black mask to protect his face going forward.
In the third quarter Monta Ellis drove the lane and used his off arm to clear out space, and in doing so incidentally elbowed Batum in the face.
Batum was immediately rushed after the game to get a checkup and the results came back as expected considering he had a noticeable dip in the center of his nose. The team will now seek a protection covering in advance of Sunday’s game against the Houston Rockets, (Batum’s agent Bouna) Ndiaye said.
Batum is a solid wing player for Portland who has averaged 12.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 5.2 assists a game this season, plus he is a long and athletic defender.
He is not expected to miss any time. The Trail Blazers could use him — they are basically tied with the Rockets and Clippers (all 3.5 games back of conference leader Oklahoma City) and having home court in the first round will require some improved play over the 6-4 Portland is in its last 10.
- LeBron James on Kyrie Irving: “I believe Kyrie can be the best point guard in the league.” 1
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Boston Celtics 1
- Dwight Howard’s drivers’ license in Florida suspended, he racked up 10 red light violations in Orlando 9
- Tim Duncan to appear in “The Punisher” comic book 6
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New York Knicks 10
- Klay Thompson’s agent: Thompson better two-way shooting guard than Kobe Bryant 49
- Report: Greg Oden’s drinking an issue during season, alleged domestic assault 30
- Kevin Durant calls Allen Iverson “pound for pound” best ever 29