Mar 8, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
UPDATE 6:20 p.m.: Batum’s nose is not broken after all, according to an updated CSNNW.com report. It’s being called a nasal contusion, and it hasn’t yet been determined if it will require a protective mask.
4:30 p.m.: Well, we know he can’t wear a black mask to protect his face going forward.
In the third quarter Monta Ellis drove the lane and used his off arm to clear out space, and in doing so incidentally elbowed Batum in the face.
Batum was immediately rushed after the game to get a checkup and the results came back as expected considering he had a noticeable dip in the center of his nose. The team will now seek a protection covering in advance of Sunday’s game against the Houston Rockets, (Batum’s agent Bouna) Ndiaye said.
Batum is a solid wing player for Portland who has averaged 12.9 points, 6.9 rebounds and 5.2 assists a game this season, plus he is a long and athletic defender.
He is not expected to miss any time. The Trail Blazers could use him — they are basically tied with the Rockets and Clippers (all 3.5 games back of conference leader Oklahoma City) and having home court in the first round will require some improved play over the 6-4 Portland is in its last 10.
- Report: Chicago Bulls give Jimmy Butler max qualifying offer 17
- Report: Dwyane Wade will not opt-in with Heat, to become free agent (as expected) 25
- Report: Knicks front runner to land Arron Afflalo (and Greg Monroe, too) 27
- Report: Luol Deng surprises Miami, opts in for 2015-16 season 30
- Report: Sense around league is Kevin Love will re-sign with Cavaliers 31
- Report: As deadline nears, signs still point to Dwyane Wade opting out, becoming free agent 40
- Report: Dallas most likely team to lure DeAndre Jordan from Clippers, Chandler Parsons already recruiting 24
- Report: Lakers would still trade D’Angelo Russell for DeMarcus Cousins straight up. Kings wouldn’t. 30