Mar 7, 2014, 3:55 PM EDT
The only time the Timberwolves seemed to take charge in their loss to the Knicks Wednesday night was in the third quarter when Nikola Pekovic took over. It’s not a shock if you’ve watched the Timberwolves this season — he averages 18 points a game on 53.9 percent shooting, the Minnesota offense is 4.7 points per 100 possessions better when he is on the court.
But he’s not on court as much as the Timberwolves need him. Not as much as he wants to be. Not much in the fourth quarter vs. the Knicks.
After missing 13 games with an ankle injury he Timberwolves’ doctors have him on a minutes limit. Minnesota reporter Mark Remme talked about it at the Wolves Web site.
The team is aiming to keep him around the 20-minute mark during this early stretch in his return. He already played 21 minutes by the time the fourth quarter began. In fact, in his three games back he’s played 28, 24 and 26 minutes, respectively.
“It’s just tough, you know?” Pekovic said. “But I’ve just got to do whatever they [the medical staff] say. I’m still going over my limit. My limit is 20. … In the third I really felt good. I was getting going, so when coach had to sign on the court, he didn’t want to sub me out. I didn’t want to go out. But that’s the fact. I need to follow the rules now, try to heal things up.”
Pekovic said in the interview his ankle does hurt some during games. At this point, with the Timberwolves all but officially out of the playoff hunt (five games back with 22 to play, they would have to go at least 17-5 the rest of the way to make it) what is the point of pushing Pekovic to potentially another injury?
Minnesota needs to look ahead, all the way to next season. When Pekovic will be a big part of what they do. Better to stick with the restrictions, not aggravate things, and make sure the big man is back healthy next fall.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 7
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 21
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 54
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65