Mar 7, 2014, 1:29 PM EST
This drives some fans crazy. Maybe they live in a mythical world where they think the players their team should share a hatred of their rivals/opponents. They like to believe that kind of hatred used to exist among players, as if Michael Jordan and Charles Barkley didn’t used to hang out and party together. Players now think of it more as if they are in a fraternity and while they will go hard at guys on the court off the court is a different world.
So it shouldn’t be a shock that an up and coming player like Paul George says he would like to talk to and pick the brain of LeBron James during the offseason.
Nor should it be a surprise LeBron James is open to the idea, as he told Brian Windhorst of ESPN.
“Pick [my brain] like Hannibal Lector?” James said jokingly. “You know me, I don’t mind it at all. I don’t mind giving guys [advice], whatever he wants to ask. Guys know I have an open door/phone policy.”
As noted before, LeBron and Kevin Durant have had workouts together the past few summers. This kind of thing doesn’t bother me. If you are one of the game’s elite you need to learn from the best to beat the best — LeBron learned from guys before him, now he is passing on that knowledge. It’s the circle of NBA life. It’s not like LeBron will tell George, “you know you guys could beat us if you would just…”
Look at it this way: When you played pickup hoops, don’t you go harder at your friends than you do some random guy at the Y that day? That’s how it is with NBA guys. As long as it doesn’t impact the game on the court, fans need to relax.
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 8
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 3
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23
- PBT’s weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks seem to be out of malaise. Maybe. 11
- Report: Jimmy Butler could miss three to four weeks with elbow injury 7
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 11