Mar 7, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
Is LeBron done with the mask, or is he just taking a break?
Midway through the first quarter of the Heat’s loss to the Spurs, LeBron took his mask off during a timeout. He’d missed his only shot, and Miami trailed by eight.
He didn’t exactly light the world on fire after that, shooting 6-for-18 in a 111-87 loss (though maybe the mask – or other accessories – hindered him in ways other than shooting).
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The mask is a preventative measure. It protects players who’ve already experienced nose injuries from having another while they’re more susceptible and when they’d be more affected. It’s also, surely, a pain to play with.
LeBron is hardly the first player to scrap a mask before he’s supposed to be done with it or even the first to do so mid-game. I’ve never seen someone pay for it with another hit to the nose, but if players keep pressing their luck…
Still, maybe that chance is worth the added comfort and playing better.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61