Mar 7, 2014, 11:08 AM EST
Joakim Noah is playing the best basketball of his career the past few weeks and the Bulls are the third best team in the Eastern Conference. With Derrick Rose down and Luol Deng traded Noah has become the fulcrum of the Bulls offense, and it’s working as Noah has had a triple double in two of the Bulls’ last three games.
That may be harder to pull off with a sprained thumb.
Which is what he is playing through and will play through Friday night against Memphis, as ESPNChicago.com reports.
Initial tests run on Chicago Bulls center Joakim Noah’s injured right thumb revealed a sprain, according to a league source.
Noah injured the thumb on Wednesday against the Pistons and was seen in a splint on Thursday.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $100,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $15,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
The Bulls need to be cautious here with Noah — he is their best player and they need his hand healthy for the playoffs. Remember, this is the same thumb Noah needed surgery on after an injury three years ago. Sprains can linger if they don’t get a little rest.
The Bulls need to think ahead here a loss to the Grizzlies on Friday night is a small price to pay if it helps get your best player healthy again. But Noah is not the kind of guy who takes nights off and he is expected to play, according to multiple reports.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 0
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 3
- Report: Sixers engaged in buyout talks with JaVale McGee 17
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 8
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6