Mar 6, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
During a halftime interview, a reporter asked Chandler about the relatively quirky matchup (hat tip: Royce Young of Eye on Basketball).
- Reporter: “With the mismatch with Kevin Love, what are some of the challenges, and some of the ways you’re taking advantage?”
- Chandler: He can stretch the floor so well. So, we’ve got to do a better job of closing out.”
- Reporter: “How are you taking advantage of it then?
- Chandler: “Huh?”
- Reporter: “How can you take advantage of the mismatch on your end?”
- Chandler: “Oh. Go at him. He can’t play D.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Love has actually improved considerably defensively since gaining a reputation for struggling on that end early in his career. But Wednesday’s loss to the Knicks – and an admittedly difficult matchup with Chandler – sure didn’t prove his growth.
Chandler shot 5-for-5 on plays Love guarded him,* including a couple wide-open dunks when Love got caught in the middle on pick-and-roll coverage.
On the other end, Love shot just 4-for-11 – though he made 3-of-5 3-pointers – with Chandler guarding him.*
*Approximately, depending on your interpretation of a few plays. Today’s help-heavy NBA defenses often don’t lend themselves to saying who guarded whom.
Chandler and Love share a bond that dates back to when Love was in sixth grade. So, I think Chandler’s comments were mostly in good fun.
And what fun they were! Every halftime interview should feature a player or coach insulting someone on the other team.
Sep 3, 2015, 10:29 AM EDT
Thompson reportedly waiting for a max contract
Sep 3, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT
Memphis mum on when rookie will return
Sep 3, 2015, 8:32 AM EDT
Will he and Rick Carlisle get along?
Sep 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
He will be remembered as a Celtic, but Los Angeles is his hometown.
Sep 3, 2015, 12:10 AM EDT
These are just classic.
Sep 2, 2015, 10:30 PM EDT
He’s making $1.5 million less than if he opted in this season, but he does have another year.
Sep 2, 2015, 9:30 PM EDT
With the additions to the Celtics’ roster, this is the smart play.
Sep 2, 2015, 8:31 PM EDT
He could be back on the court around Thanksgiving, if a team picks him up.
Sep 2, 2015, 7:30 PM EDT
It’s not unreasonable.
Sep 2, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
Don’t bring a loaded Glock to an airport, people. It’s pretty much common sense.
Sep 2, 2015, 5:38 PM EDT
Expect the Mavericks to be cautious with his return.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:59 PM EDT
Best ever little guy? Calvin Murphy is in the HOF, so he’s the man.
Sep 2, 2015, 4:13 PM EDT
It won’t be called Seagull Kneivel
Sep 2, 2015, 3:14 PM EDT
Advanced stats aren’t always the answer
Sep 2, 2015, 2:17 PM EDT
If only I could get people to run up to fist bump me while I walk…
Sep 2, 2015, 1:20 PM EDT
I’m not optimistic, but at least they appear to be trying
Sep 2, 2015, 12:23 PM EDT
Point guard reportedly working out in Philadelphia
Sep 2, 2015, 11:33 AM EDT
Watch this and try not to smile
Sep 2, 2015, 10:33 AM EDT
Heat got a steal
Sep 2, 2015, 9:28 AM EDT
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 27
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 39
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4