Mar 6, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
During a halftime interview, a reporter asked Chandler about the relatively quirky matchup (hat tip: Royce Young of Eye on Basketball).
- Reporter: “With the mismatch with Kevin Love, what are some of the challenges, and some of the ways you’re taking advantage?”
- Chandler: He can stretch the floor so well. So, we’ve got to do a better job of closing out.”
- Reporter: “How are you taking advantage of it then?
- Chandler: “Huh?”
- Reporter: “How can you take advantage of the mismatch on your end?”
- Chandler: “Oh. Go at him. He can’t play D.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Love has actually improved considerably defensively since gaining a reputation for struggling on that end early in his career. But Wednesday’s loss to the Knicks – and an admittedly difficult matchup with Chandler – sure didn’t prove his growth.
Chandler shot 5-for-5 on plays Love guarded him,* including a couple wide-open dunks when Love got caught in the middle on pick-and-roll coverage.
On the other end, Love shot just 4-for-11 – though he made 3-of-5 3-pointers – with Chandler guarding him.*
*Approximately, depending on your interpretation of a few plays. Today’s help-heavy NBA defenses often don’t lend themselves to saying who guarded whom.
Chandler and Love share a bond that dates back to when Love was in sixth grade. So, I think Chandler’s comments were mostly in good fun.
And what fun they were! Every halftime interview should feature a player or coach insulting someone on the other team.
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 0
- Breaking down Eastern Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 1
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 4
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 12
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43