Mar 6, 2014, 12:14 PM EDT
The last time the Philadelphia 76ers won a game it was Jan. 29 in Boston.
Since then the Sixers have lost 15 in a row, by an average of 19.8 points a game (a couple 40+ point losses skew that number). Coach Brett Brown is not sure his team will win another game this season — we knew they would be bad, that was really the plan from the start under GM Sam Hinkie, who may publicly deny it but was clearly on board the “tanking” for this draft class plan . And that’s a valid rebuilding plan in the current system, it’s just hard to watch at times. They traded Jrue Holiday away last draft for Nerlens Noel, who may be special but has yet to play this season. At this year’s trade deadline they moved Evan Turner and Spencer Hawes.
The NBA record for consecutive losses is 26, by the 2010-11 Cavaliers (the Cavs broke their own franchise record of 24 to “earn” that record). The Sixers are fully capable of surpassing that — in fact if they don’t stop the skid in the next week they could be on a slippery slope to the record.
Let’s look at their next dozen games — lose all these and they break the record. The good news is the list starts off with three where they could get a win.
March 8: Utah Jazz (if they are going to win one this could be it, but the Jazz are playing better lately)
March 10: at New York Knicks (another team struggling now)
March 12: Sacramento Kings (an up and down team that can beat or lose to anyone any night)
March 14: Indiana Pacers
March 15: Memphis Grizzlies
March 17: at Indiana Pacers
March 19: Chicago Bulls
March 21: New York Knicks
March 22: at Chicago Bulls
March 24: at San Antonio Spurs
March 27: at Houston Rockets
After those first three games things start to get really tough — some very good teams and then the last three of that dozen are on the road against good teams.
This is the NBA, the Sixers have talented players on the roster — Michael Carter-Williams, Thaddeus Young among others — and anyone can beat anyone else on the right night. The streak could end when we least expect it.
But more likely, if the Sixers don’t snap the losing streak in the next week the road to 27 consecutive losses is going to be a hard one to get off.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18