Mar 6, 2014, 11:07 AM EDT
After ranking third in the NBA in 3-point percentage last season, the Oklahoma City Thunder have slipped to below league average this year.
So, it appears they’ll target outside shooting with their vacant roster spot.
The Thunder is filling its 15th and final roster spot with the signing of shooting guard Reggie Williams to a 10-day contract, The Oklahoman has learned.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Williams – a 27-year-old 6-foot-6 wing – was averaging 20.8 points on 38.7 percent 3-point shooting, 5.5 rebound and 4.9 assists per game with the Tulsa 66ers, Oklahoma City’s D-League affiliate.
Previously, he spent four years in the NBA, two each with the Charlotte Bobcats and Golden State Warriors. He earned recognition by making 37.1 percent of his 3-point attempts, but he’s also a more versatile offensive player than credited for. He’s also made 52.2 percent of his 2-point attempts and is a decent passer.
Defensively, though, Williams has always struggled. If he gets on the court with the Thunder, he’ll need someone to protect him. Serge Ibaka, come on down.
The Rockets brought Williams to training camp and cut him before the season, and there’s a reason he didn’t begin the year in the NBA. But if the Thunder’s strong team defense can hide Williams, he has a shot to contribute in a minor role.
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 7
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 8
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 42
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 30
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40
- Phil Jackson says Knicks wanted Goran Dragic at trade deadline. Because he’s such a triangle fit? 16
- Report: Cavaliers sign Matthew Dellavedova 10
- Heat trade Zoran Dragic, second-rounder to Celtics 11