Mar 6, 2014, 10:36 AM EDT
But most published work on the subject has focused on where Melo desires to play.
Over All-Star weekend, I’m told by a person with knowledge of the conversation, that Joakim Noah recruited Carmelo.
Now, you’ll probably hear denials out of Chicago if they talk about it, because it would be tampering, officially.
But I’m told that Joakim said to Melo, “Look, you can go to Los Angeles. But if you want to win a ring, if you want your legacy to be about winning, come to Chicago.”
Melo, I’m told, said, “Look, I’ve been watching you guys. I admire how hard you play. I admire how hungry you are. Oh, and by the way, my son’s favorite player: Derrick Rose.”
Perhaps, Noah was acting on his own, but that would surprise me. I would think he’d know the Bulls have an interest – if not a full-blown desire – in signing Melo.
So, he reportedly took steps to help make that more plausible if the Bulls want to go that route.
By the letter of the law, no. By precedent, absolutely.
The NBA inconsistently punishes teams for tampering, so who knows what the league would do if it found these Noah-Melo conversations took place? Most likely, the NBA won’t want to find anything and won’t investigate.
But if the NBA confirmed Broussard’s report and punished the Bulls, it would be a complete injustice. How is this any different than Chandler Parsons texting Dwight Howard daily before free agency began last summer?
Assuming the Bulls stay clear of the league office, they must clear even bigger obstacles to get Melo. They’d likely have to amnesty Carlos Boozer and trade Taj Gibson – unless they can convince Melo to accept less than a max contract.
Joakim Noah might be convincing, but I doubt he’s that convincing.
- Tony ‘First Team All-Defense’ Allen and Mike ‘Masked Assassin’ Conley lead Grizzlies to Game 2 win over Warriors 13
- Hawks unimpressive, but pull away late for Game 2 win over Wizards 6
- Mike Conley playing Game 2 against Warriors tonight 0
- John Wall out for Wizards-Hawks Game 2 tonight 3
- PBT Extra: Will Doc Rivers sit Chris Paul in Game 2? 0
- Tony Allen on MVP Stephen Curry: “It ain’t nothing I ain’t never seen before” 23
- PBT Extra: Grizzlies searching for answers, Mike Conley in Game 2 3
- PBT Extra: Hawks need to lean on starters more, hit open looks in Game 2 0