Paul George wants LeBron James to be his mentor

Mar 6, 2014, 2:34 PM EDT

Indiana Pacers v Miami Heat Getty Images

If you want to beat the best, you need to learn from the best.

Paul George wants to beat the best, and right now the best is LeBron James.

LeBron may be the most physically gifted player in the game (arguably ever) but he also has maybe the best basketball mind in the game. Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski praised LeBron for helping him game plan, and LeBron has the most photographic recall of plays of any player I have seen. LeBron’s hoop IQ is ridiculous.

Paul George told Basketball Insiders he wants to understand how LeBron thinks.

“It would be great to be able to pick his brain, pick his mind and just talk about the game because I think he’s a player that can help me get to the next level and continue to keep going to the next level,” George told Basketball Insiders. “I wish some day we have that relationship where he is someone I can talk to—not during the season because I’m too competitive during the season—but maybe in the summertime….

“He’s someone that motivates me,” said George, who is averaging 22.7 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.8 steals per game. “This league is all about guys being competitive and competing. And don’t get me wrong, every time I’m matched up with him I’m going to try to get the best out of him and come out as the best player of that game. But at the same time, he’s been someone that I looked up to. He’s someone I’m going to continue to look up to because at the end of the day, the position I want to be in is where he’s at.”

First, you have to admire Paul George for this — he wants to get better and he knows there are a handful of guys who can really give him insights to get there. LeBron is one of those guys.

LeBron may well be up for this — he has had off-season workouts with Kevin Durant, he has sought out players and situations who can help push his game to the next level.

Paul George may end up part of Team USA headed to Spain late this summer for the FIFA World Cup. That will certainly be an experience that can help George grow — high levels of competition and a chance to be around and watch how guys like Durant and Kevin Love and how they go about their craft.

But don’t be surprised if George and LeBron get together for some workouts, too.

Latest Posts
  1. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

2. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

3. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Pelican guards need to stay with Curry, Thompson

Apr 20, 2015, 5:32 PM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One New Orleans Pelicans v Golden State Warriors - Game One

Also, Tyreke Evans is a game-time decision after his injury in the playoff opener.

6. Clippers will rebrand this summer, new potential logos leaked

Apr 20, 2015, 4:06 PM EDT

Screen-shot-2015-04-17-at-10.35.11-PM

The Clippers need a rebranding, but the leaked images are not winning over new fans.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2