Mar 6, 2014, 2:34 PM EST
If you want to beat the best, you need to learn from the best.
LeBron may be the most physically gifted player in the game (arguably ever) but he also has maybe the best basketball mind in the game. Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski praised LeBron for helping him game plan, and LeBron has the most photographic recall of plays of any player I have seen. LeBron’s hoop IQ is ridiculous.
“It would be great to be able to pick his brain, pick his mind and just talk about the game because I think he’s a player that can help me get to the next level and continue to keep going to the next level,” George told Basketball Insiders. “I wish some day we have that relationship where he is someone I can talk to—not during the season because I’m too competitive during the season—but maybe in the summertime….
“He’s someone that motivates me,” said George, who is averaging 22.7 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3.5 assists and 1.8 steals per game. “This league is all about guys being competitive and competing. And don’t get me wrong, every time I’m matched up with him I’m going to try to get the best out of him and come out as the best player of that game. But at the same time, he’s been someone that I looked up to. He’s someone I’m going to continue to look up to because at the end of the day, the position I want to be in is where he’s at.”
First, you have to admire Paul George for this — he wants to get better and he knows there are a handful of guys who can really give him insights to get there. LeBron is one of those guys.
LeBron may well be up for this — he has had off-season workouts with Kevin Durant, he has sought out players and situations who can help push his game to the next level.
Paul George may end up part of Team USA headed to Spain late this summer for the FIFA World Cup. That will certainly be an experience that can help George grow — high levels of competition and a chance to be around and watch how guys like Durant and Kevin Love and how they go about their craft.
But don’t be surprised if George and LeBron get together for some workouts, too.
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 3
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 14
- Former All-Star, popular Knick Anthony Mason dies at age 48 16
- Russell Westbrook posts third straight triple-double, Thunder lose anyway 6
- Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’ 17
- Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers 0
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 17