Mar 6, 2014, 11:33 AM EDT
The Nuggets got a pretty good bargain signing Nate Robinson to the bi-annual exception. But in exchange for paying Robinson such a low salary, they had to give him a player option for the second season of his two-year contract. That way Robinson wasn’t stuck being underpaid if he had a strong year, and he was protected in case something happened.
Well, something happened.
Robinson plans to be around at the start of next season. The business end of that means he’ll exercise his player option to do so.
Asked if he’d be ready for training camp in the fall, Robinson said, “Yeah, for sure.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $50,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Thursday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $7,500. Starts at 8pm ET on Thursday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
Robinson has struggled to get paid these last few years because his freelancing style, streakiness and defensive shortcomings grind on coaches. Unfortunately, his offensive prowess gets overlooked.
In Denver, though, he has a coach who appreciates him. Brian Shaw, via Dempsey:
“You just miss his competitive fire,” Shaw said. “He’s a guy that competes every minute that he’s out there on the floor. And even though he’s the smallest guy on our team, he’s probably the toughest guy on our team. Just in terms of the physicality that he plays with, and the passion that he plays with when he’s out there on the floor.”
Seems like Robinson is making a wise move to stay in this situation and make $2,106,720 next season – at least until he’s healthy enough to command more money on the open market.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 38
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 4
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 8
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 9
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 15
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5