Kings sign Royce White to 10-day contract, assign him to D-League

Mar 6, 2014, 1:49 PM EST

Royce White AP

We told you last week to expect this and now it is a reality: Royce White is now a member of the Sacramento Kings.

The Kings announced Wednesday the signing of White to a 10-day contract. He was immediately assigned to the Kings D-League affiliate Reno Bighorns.

White was the No. 22 pick of the Houston Rockets in 2012, but he never played for them and was traded to the Sixers this past summer. He’s considered a guy with some point-forward kind skills who could develop into a DeJuan Blair level rotation player, but at both of his stops there were rumored attitude issues (take them with a grain of salt, but they are out there). White has a well documented general anxiety disorder, something he is very open about. While a fear of flying is part of that, but White has said that overblown and he did fly with the Sixers during the preseason.

White was excited to have the opportunity.

For the Kings, a struggling franchise looking for good value players they can develop, this is a good gamble — it’s low cost and he does have talent.

1. volcom2143 - Mar 6, 2014 at 2:51 PM

Bust

2. casualcommenter - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM

If he was unwilling to travel to games on the Houston Rockets’ private team plane, I really can’t imagine him being thrilled by the travel accommodations D-League players have to put up with.

Best of luck to him, but I don’t know how long it will last before he starts complaining that he deserves better due to his condition.

• spursareold - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM

d-leaguers ride a bus. It wasn’t that the plane wasn’t luxurious or comfortable enough. It was that it was a PLANE.

• eventhorizon04 - Mar 6, 2014 at 5:34 PM

D-Leaguers sometimes go on planes if the schedule demands it, which is one of the reasons why White didn’t last with the Rockets’ D-league team.

So he’s right, you’re wrong.

• casualcommenter - Mar 6, 2014 at 5:42 PM

Thanks @eventhorizon.

I’m aware White’s issue is plane flights.

While D-league teams usually travel by bus, they sometimes fly on commercial jet to save cash and time. So my point, for those too slow to understand, is that if he didn’t enjoy private plane flights with the Rockets, he’s not going to enjoy commercial plane flights with the D-league.

Obviously.

3. ProBasketballPundit - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:14 PM

Sweet! More posts on an NBA blog about a guy who will never play in the NBA.

4. ggallin4evr - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:22 PM

He doesn’t fly, which may explain why I don’t give a flying f@$k about this article.

• dablakdrphil - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:55 PM

You don’t care about this article but yet you’re commenting on it…okay makes sense

5. pacific123ocean - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:45 PM

This is Royce’s third team…and, likely his last. So, it is time for Mr. White to finally prove all of his doubters wrong.

6. broncobeta - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:56 PM

ROAD TRIP!

• 00maltliquor - Mar 6, 2014 at 4:14 PM

“Ehhh, you know what guys…go ‘head and have fun, I’m just gonna hang here in town and take care of some business that I need to get off my list. I’ll come next time, I promise. You guys go ‘head, have a good time. Hit me up and keep me posted…..”

7. freedubay - Mar 6, 2014 at 4:05 PM

He’s the only player to lead his team in steals without ever playing a second. Total headcase. Everyone is out to get him. Kings must be desperate. Real desperate.

8. 00maltliquor - Mar 6, 2014 at 4:10 PM

16th pick man, sixteenth pick! This is the 2nd time you said 22nd in as many months, get your facts straight or just hire me to be a part of the team. I will not disappoint.

9. thesportsguru7 - Mar 6, 2014 at 4:32 PM

You don’t have to ride a plane to work everyday to work at McDonalds Royce.

10. fnc111 - Mar 6, 2014 at 4:55 PM

Lazy psycho.

11. rohlo - Mar 6, 2014 at 5:16 PM

idiot wants to thank the sacramento kings?? what about the rockets who made him a lottery pick?they took a chance on him and he came up with excuse after excuse instead of making a positive influence on the dis-order!if he couldnt succeed playing for a top flight franchise like the rockets and their top flight two time nbadl champion vipers he will not make it anywhere. he acted liek a diva,yes you have a dis-order,but you cant help somebody who is not willing to put an effort forth as well. it was a two way street and he wanted to force the rockets to make all the concessions while he played the pity card!!! royce will not amount to anything in the nba if he doesnt learn that he needs to go out there and make a difference instead of wanting organizations to do it for him.thats what pioneers do when they have a handicap.thye go out and get it instead of making excuses and playing the poor me pity card! grow a pair royce! i have anxiety issues and have to take zanax when i fly.i get panic attacks when i fly!

12. mnsadsportsfan - Mar 6, 2014 at 7:15 PM

Why? He will not play!

13. campcouch - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:27 PM

Remember the A-Team used to drug BA to get him on planes.

14. unxpexted1 - Mar 7, 2014 at 9:08 AM

I don’t know much about his condition, and i know i was a beleiver in this kid coming out of college. I can’t lie it must be pretty serious, cause dude is not getting NBA money at this point. I mean if it was all a sham I think he would have gave in by now. He wasn’t a lottery pick so he’s not getting NBA money. So at this point, he’s just giving up millions and a chance to live his dream. I was one of the first to talk noise about his condition with the rockets, and maybe he has gone about it the wrong way but at this point it must be pretty real cause he’s giving up a lot of money right now.

15. sixerstrong - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:41 AM

It’s really a shame. He was an incredible college player. I was watching him pretty intently during the sixers preseason this year, and his talent was undeniable. However, he was out of shape, unfocused, and made way too many dumb mistakes that completely overshadowed his flashes of brilliance. I’m pulling for the guy, but unfortunately I think that ship has sailed (plane has flown?).

16. zacksdad - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:07 AM

He is still an ass. What is with the comment thanking them for the type of people they are, that is a dig at the other two organizations. They both tried very hard to work around his illness, but could not work around he being so vain.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches