Mar 6, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Presumably, Chandler Parsons, now Howard’s teammate with the Houston Rockets, was not among the jeerers.
But in a different time and place, he could have been.
Having spent much of his life attending Magic home games, Rockets forward Chandler Parsons completely understood why fans booed Dwight Howard. Though he had been among those wearing Howard uniforms at Magic games, Parsons said if he were still a kid in the stands, he would have booed, too.
“I’d probably boo him,” said Parsons, whose family purchased season tickets as soon as they went on sale 25 seasons ago. “That’s what makes playing on the road so fun and exciting. You support your home team. Anytime someone leaves a team, you’re going to be upset. Obviously, it’s a business decision. He did what’s best for him. As a fan, you don’t care about anything else besides that he left the Magic. If I were in the stands, I would definitely boo, too.”
I’m all for fans booing visiting players, especially players who forced their way out of that city. If I were a Magic fan, I would have booed the entire Howard video. Loudly.
But I also think it’s important fans realize – deep down, even if they’ll never admit it – it’s a bit absurd to boo a person because his jersey and shorts are now a different color than they used to be.
Parsons seems to get the distinction, and Howard definitely gets how fun this exercise can be.
Good for those two, and good for the Magic fans doing their part last night.
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 13
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 9
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18
- Kevin Durant has grown close with Karl Malone 15