Mar 6, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Presumably, Chandler Parsons, now Howard’s teammate with the Houston Rockets, was not among the jeerers.
But in a different time and place, he could have been.
Having spent much of his life attending Magic home games, Rockets forward Chandler Parsons completely understood why fans booed Dwight Howard. Though he had been among those wearing Howard uniforms at Magic games, Parsons said if he were still a kid in the stands, he would have booed, too.
“I’d probably boo him,” said Parsons, whose family purchased season tickets as soon as they went on sale 25 seasons ago. “That’s what makes playing on the road so fun and exciting. You support your home team. Anytime someone leaves a team, you’re going to be upset. Obviously, it’s a business decision. He did what’s best for him. As a fan, you don’t care about anything else besides that he left the Magic. If I were in the stands, I would definitely boo, too.”
I’m all for fans booing visiting players, especially players who forced their way out of that city. If I were a Magic fan, I would have booed the entire Howard video. Loudly.
But I also think it’s important fans realize – deep down, even if they’ll never admit it – it’s a bit absurd to boo a person because his jersey and shorts are now a different color than they used to be.
Parsons seems to get the distinction, and Howard definitely gets how fun this exercise can be.
Good for those two, and good for the Magic fans doing their part last night.
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 11
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13
- Report: Sacramento consultant Chris Mullin to take St. John’s head coaching job 4
- PBT Extra: Taking twitter questions on Clippers, Michael Carter-Williams, more 7
- PBT’s NBA Power Rankings: Cream rising to top as playoffs near 27
- Report: Patrick Beverley out for rest of season, including playoffs 8
- Breaking down Western Conference playoff chase with two weeks left in season 9