Mar 6, 2014, 12:03 PM EDT
Presumably, Chandler Parsons, now Howard’s teammate with the Houston Rockets, was not among the jeerers.
But in a different time and place, he could have been.
Having spent much of his life attending Magic home games, Rockets forward Chandler Parsons completely understood why fans booed Dwight Howard. Though he had been among those wearing Howard uniforms at Magic games, Parsons said if he were still a kid in the stands, he would have booed, too.
“I’d probably boo him,” said Parsons, whose family purchased season tickets as soon as they went on sale 25 seasons ago. “That’s what makes playing on the road so fun and exciting. You support your home team. Anytime someone leaves a team, you’re going to be upset. Obviously, it’s a business decision. He did what’s best for him. As a fan, you don’t care about anything else besides that he left the Magic. If I were in the stands, I would definitely boo, too.”
I’m all for fans booing visiting players, especially players who forced their way out of that city. If I were a Magic fan, I would have booed the entire Howard video. Loudly.
But I also think it’s important fans realize – deep down, even if they’ll never admit it – it’s a bit absurd to boo a person because his jersey and shorts are now a different color than they used to be.
Parsons seems to get the distinction, and Howard definitely gets how fun this exercise can be.
Good for those two, and good for the Magic fans doing their part last night.
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 0
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 16
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18