Udonis Haslem told Patrick Beverley to stop talking trash at halftime of Heat-Rockets

Mar 5, 2014, 10:55 PM EST

Houston Rockets' Beverley smiles after being called for a foul while playing Oklahoma City Thunder in their NBA Western Conference basketball playoff in Oklahoma

Patrick Beverley gained some national attention when his aggressive play resulted in an injury to the Thunder’s Russell Westbrook in the first round of last year’s playoffs.

There was nothing wrong with Beverley’s play, but it branded him as an agitator of sorts. He’s since lived up to that label, being one of the more combative perimeter defenders in the league, and excelling in that role on a Rockets team that has Dwight Howard patrolling the paint to correct any mistakes that may come from playing that style of defense.

Apparently during Tuesday’s win over Miami, Beverley was agitating the Miami bench as his Rockets were handling the Heat in the first half — at least until Udonis Haslem had a little chat with him about it at halftime.

From Joe Goodman of the Miami Herald:

“I was just giving him a hard time,” Haslem said. “It was nothing serious. I just told him to stop talking crap and looking over at our bench. I know Pat. I think he the spent the summer with us. He’s a hard-nosed kid, a real competitor, and I respect the road that he took and the success that he had, but he was just doing a lot of yapping and I told him to stop looking at our bench and talking crap.

“It wasn’t nothing personal. I got a lot of love for Pat Beverley, but he was just looking over at our bench and talking and he’s always got something to say. We’re cool off the court, but in between the lines, I don’t like it.

“You play against a team that you worked out for, or you felt like you should have been there, or they made a mistake by letting you go, you try to prove something. And I guess he came out tonight with a chip on his shoulder.”

Beverley has a history with the Heat, and was cut by the team at the conclusion of training camp in 2010.

Haslem is known as one of the league’s few actual tough guys, though, so his words probably carried a certain amount of weight with Beverley that allowed him to zip it before things got out of hand.

Beverley finished with 19 points on 6-of-12 shooting in 33 minutes of action in the victory, but likely did his damage much more quietly in the second half.

1. pharohislife - Mar 6, 2014 at 12:50 AM

Success is the Best Revenge.

• therealhtj - Mar 6, 2014 at 9:49 AM

I’M DE CAPTAIN NOW!!!

2. 1forest1 - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:36 AM

He’s the type of player people love to have on their team, and hate to play against.

• 00maltliquor - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:38 AM

That’s what they said about Bruce Bowen.

• pharohislife - Mar 6, 2014 at 3:55 AM

They say that about quite a few players.

• 00maltliquor - Mar 6, 2014 at 5:15 AM

Applaud Captain Obvious^
        Really? Well paint me purple and call me Barney.

It’s all good pharoh, I’m just messing with you. You are right, just didn’t think it needed mentioning.

3. 00maltliquor - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:37 AM

“I think he spent the summer with us…”

We’ll did he or didn’t he?! LOL, how do you forget that?

Pat Bev got some serious D though. I mean, it’s the only thing he has, but it sure is ELITE! The guy is a pest to the 10th degree.

4. chibios - Mar 6, 2014 at 9:15 AM

I watched this game and I did notice how much trash talking Pat Bev was doing in the first half. It’s fine when a player shows his emotions every now and then but Pat had to be put in his place.

5. thehawg - Mar 6, 2014 at 11:20 AM

I believe Miami Heat did make a mistake by cutting Patrick Beverly, but who Im I to second guess Pat Riley.

6. cbking05 - Mar 6, 2014 at 12:18 PM

He should have busted Haslem’s knee like he did Westbrook

• bjswoosh805 - Mar 6, 2014 at 8:42 PM

No. if there’s any knee busting to happen, it’ll be Pat Beverly’s knees + perhaps a busted lip and chewed up ear like how Haslem usually chews on his mouthpiece.

7. danieltreto - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:03 PM

Gary Payton would have punched Haslem in the mouth…

8. au1978 - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:54 PM

Grow some skin, Haslem.

9. cyclops1771 - Mar 6, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Why not title this article “Haslem is biggest badazz ever. Because I said so.”???? Seriously, so Haslem talked trash and Beverly talked trash. But without any proof, or any journalistic integrity, you write that Beverly backed down and stopped talking trash?

Well, since we are making up things, how about I re-write the last two sentences for you?

Haslem is known as one of the league’s few actual tough guys, though, but Beverly fought his way back into the NBA, even playing a stint in Russia, so whatever Haslem said probably carried ZERO amount of weight with Beverley and I would hazard a random guess that he kept right on doing what he wanted. Luckily for the Heat, the Heat bench most likely knew enough to keep calm before he goaded them into getting technicals.

Beverley finished with 19 points on 6-of-12 shooting in 33 minutes of action in the victory, but likely did his damage just as loudly in the second half as in the first.”

My ending has as much truth in it as yours does. In the future, please don’t just randomly decide what happened. Ask a question and find out what actually happened, or, I don’t know, maybe stop speculating about things?

10. sinister04l - Mar 7, 2014 at 11:25 AM

A tough guy that can’t handle a little trash talking? Yeah, that sounds about right for an NBA “tough guy.”

11. courtneycachet - Mar 7, 2014 at 12:33 PM

Udonis Haslam and I lived in the same building in Miami for a few years and he was always polite, respectful and nice. He’s very well known in Miami for his charity to his old neighborhood. A class act. Bravo!

Can Rockets, Grizzlies keep up hot starts?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches