Taj Gibson, on a New York City subway, learned how ‘gangster’ Mike Dunleavy is

Mar 5, 2014, 12:08 PM EDT

Mike Dunleavy, Taj Gibson, Carlos Boozer

Taj Gibson grew up in Brooklyn and attended USC.

Mike Dunleavy graduated from a college-prep school in Oregon and attended Duke.

They didn’t exactly have the same upbringings, but the Bulls teammates formed a bond years ago. On the New York City subway. Late at night. Once Dunleavy was already in the NBA.

Gibson on Dunleavy, via K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune:

“He takes hard fouls on guys,” Gibson said. “I love that about him. He’s not afraid.”

Gibson’s opinion of Dunleavy the person had been formed positively by an anecdote Gibson hilariously shared earlier this season. A high school-aged Gibson ran into Dunleavy riding the New York subway alone at night. Gibson said Dunleavy, already in the NBA, gave him a head nod.

“You don’t really see NBA players on the train, especially at night,” Gibson said in early January. “That’s how gangster he was.”

First, I need to hear Dunleavy’s version of this story. Does he remember this? Where was he going? What did he think of Gibson, presumably a really tall kid?

Second of all, the perception of Dunleavy as a finesse player should probably change. He’s tangled with Tyler Hansbrough and DeMarcus Cousins and come back for more.

Gangster indeed.

1. thenew013 - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:16 PM

Drop a mixtape Dunleavy. Spit that real for the hoodrats in the trap. you gang..stery gangster.

2. chicagosports2014 - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Mike said I wish a MF would, lolz!

3. pbtunpaidwriter - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:34 PM

Haha this was so random but a fun read.

4. watermelon1 - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM

Richard Sherman thinks calling dunleavy “gangster” is racist!

Calling anyone anything… Racist!

• reesesteel23 - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:58 PM

bating much?

• bigmeechy74 - Mar 5, 2014 at 6:19 PM

wow man this is a SPORTS blog so why are you bringing up sex stuff??? and why do you care if he pleasures himself or not??? and you ask how much he does it? sicko

5. 00maltliquor - Mar 5, 2014 at 12:54 PM

Funny article, funny thread lol

6. trickybastard - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:20 PM

I don’t know about the gangster comments (which are really made in jest) but I’m a King’s fan and Dunleavy and Cousins have had more than a few run-ins. I can attest to Gibson’s comments that Dunleavy is not scared.

7. brookwell2013 - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:25 PM

Dunleavy is a flat out hardass. That freakin’ dude will not back down to anyone, plus, he’s got some game.

8. TheMorningStar - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:43 PM

Sp riding the NYC subway at night makes you ‘gansta’?

Taj should have indicated which subway line they were on.

• apkyletexas - Mar 5, 2014 at 10:01 PM

I’ve ridden the NY subways late at night by myself many times. Within the past two years, in fact.

Didn’t know I was gangster. Just trying to get back to my Newark airport hotel for an early morning flight after late meetings in the city, like lots of people. Probably like Dunleavy.

Nobody ever messed with me. Or if they did, they were just typical crazy crackheads, and I stared them down like I always do. And they backed off, like they always do. No different than crazy Hollywood crackheads, or crazy Atlanta or DC or Baltimore or Houston crackheads.

• bigkurt6 - Mar 7, 2014 at 10:34 PM

Ever rode around chicago on the L at night???? That is something

9. ProBasketballPundit - Mar 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Mike Dunleavy’s dedication to riding the subway reminds me of the dedication it takes to brew fine home crafted beer.

10. campcouch - Mar 5, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Of course,this is the law of the universe. Anyone outside of NYC is a pansy. Obviously the toughest people on Earth are gangster New Yorkers. We should be grateful that they all reside in one place. Wait,do you lose your cred once you leave the Big Apple?

11. JT - Mar 5, 2014 at 9:36 PM

Lol I had no ideal, Mike, Jr. For prez

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches