Dwight Howard’s seven lost siblings the source of his fun-loving attitude

Mar 5, 2014, 12:35 PM EST

CSN Houston premiered “The Dwight Howard Show,” a reality show featuring behind-the-scenes footage of the Houston Rockets center.

Early in the first episode, his explanation for his attitude caught my eye:

I enjoy life. For those of you who don’t know this, my mom lost seven kids. Seven! That’s a lot of kids. And I was supposed to be No. 8.

I was two months premature. Very, verry small baby. My dad could hold me in the palm of his hand – that small. That’s very small. I wasn’t supposed to be here. The doctor had my mom on bed rest for seven months.

I wasn’t supposed to be here. I made it! So, I’m happy. I’m going to smile. I’m going to enjoy my life.  I’m going to have fun, because I wasn’t supposed to be here.

Howard’s mother discussed the miscarriages further in a 2010 Orlando Sentinel article, but I find Howard’s quotes here very powerful. This explains a lot about who he is.

Interested in learning more about about Dwight? Watch the video for clips of him joking with other NBA players, working out and more.

1. money2long - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:27 PM

it’s time for a lot of you to cut him some slack

• coopluvsphins - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:07 PM

Why should he be cut slack? This doesn’t excuse his behavior in Orlando and LA. Beating the odds doesn’t give you the right to act like a jerk. He remains a POS in my opinion.

• money2long - Mar 5, 2014 at 6:45 PM

sheesh….i said some.
        lol

2. miamiheatles - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:37 PM

That why he’s made 8 kids with all those women. Makes sense now.

• moseskkim - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:42 PM

i wouldnt put it in those words..lol its a sad story and i hope hes happy and continues to have fun loving attitude. that doesnt make what he did in orlando okay.. if those stories of women he impregnated are true..like whats wrong with you?

• miamiheatles - Mar 6, 2014 at 8:59 AM

I apologize for this comment. Came out wrong. Sorry for his mother’s losses as well.

3. au1978 - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:48 PM

I’m a Rockets fan and I love what Dwight Howard has done for our team. I read up on him and yes, I watched the debut of his show las night. However, as much as I’m in to all-things-Howard, I must say that this site has a borderline obsession with the guy. Maybe it’s b/c of the contoversy he generates, but good Lord they write about him a lot!

4. onlyavoice - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:55 PM

Howard will be brokewithin 7 years after his career is over.
    To many babies & babies mammas

• pharohislife - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:32 PM

That’s a ridiculous prediction.

• spursareold - Mar 5, 2014 at 5:19 PM

Actually, it’s a pretty safe preciction for ANY pro athlete. YOu’re gonna be right WAY more than wrong. Sadly, it’s a common tale.

• blaxmyth - Mar 6, 2014 at 6:45 AM

spursareold, I hear you’re broke right now! What is wrong with you?

5. calkinsrob - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:17 PM

I read on wikipedia that he just has one kid.

• money2long - Mar 6, 2014 at 12:26 AM

haha. there wouldn’t be so many thumbs down if people connected the knock on wikipedia to this comment.

6. ProBasketballPundit - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:34 PM

God didn’t want this women to have children so badly that she had 7 miscarriages but she kept trying? Or was she just loose and not smart enough to use protection? Since she’s Dwight Howard’s mom I’m going with that one.

• ddarqwon - Mar 5, 2014 at 6:32 PM

7. billtetley53 - Mar 5, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Some of you people are sickening. The comments posted here against someone that left your favorite basketball team, a person you don’t even know personally.

Jesus, grow the f up people its only a freaking game. Lowlifes.

• asimonetti88 - Mar 5, 2014 at 3:33 PM

I would say that someone who has specifically denied the existence of his own children is a bit more of a lowlife.

And not everyone on here is a Lakers fan.

8. billtetley53 - Mar 5, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Monetti, you do realize he played in Orlando for 8 years prior to L.A., right?

Its very telling that you thought of your whiny fanbase 1st though.The comments in referring to have nothing to do with whether he does right by his kids or not.

You can read, its pathetic what was said.

Quit defending trash, of course you’re used to that with the Kobe/Colorado thing and all…..carry on.

9. spursareold - Mar 5, 2014 at 5:25 PM

I hardly think this has anything to do with how DH12 turned out. People are what they are. Someone else under these circumstances would have used this opportunity to work extremely hard to be the best basketball player ever. Dwight used it to have an extended childhood/youth. Whatever floats his boat. Just don’t justify your coasting on your natural talent, instead of working on your game, with your mother’s difficulty in birthing you.

• ddarqwon - Mar 5, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Are there still morons out there who think Dwight doesn’t work on his game?

10. azarkhan - Mar 5, 2014 at 5:36 PM

Wow, people commenting against Dwight on this board sound like a bunch of lowlife losers. STFU. As long as he’s not breaking any laws, the man has the right to live his life as he wants and to play for who he wants. WTF business is it of yours?

• ProBasketballPundit - Mar 6, 2014 at 12:06 AM

because he’s ruining society. I’d say the #1 problem in America is kids being raised without one of their parents. Dwight came in this league saying he was going to convert his team to Christianity and he’ll leave with a bunch of bastards who are likely to be future criminals.

• azarkhan - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:36 PM

He’s ruining society all by himself? You’re such a clown. LOL

• au1978 - Mar 6, 2014 at 1:47 PM

Somethig is really wrong with you in the head to take this stuff so seriously.

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches