Mar 5, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
CSN Houston premiered “The Dwight Howard Show,” a reality show featuring behind-the-scenes footage of the Houston Rockets center.
Early in the first episode, his explanation for his attitude caught my eye:
I enjoy life. For those of you who don’t know this, my mom lost seven kids. Seven! That’s a lot of kids. And I was supposed to be No. 8.
I was two months premature. Very, verry small baby. My dad could hold me in the palm of his hand – that small. That’s very small. I wasn’t supposed to be here. The doctor had my mom on bed rest for seven months.
I wasn’t supposed to be here. I made it! So, I’m happy. I’m going to smile. I’m going to enjoy my life. I’m going to have fun, because I wasn’t supposed to be here.
Howard’s mother discussed the miscarriages further in a 2010 Orlando Sentinel article, but I find Howard’s quotes here very powerful. This explains a lot about who he is.
Interested in learning more about about Dwight? Watch the video for clips of him joking with other NBA players, working out and more.
- James Harden and Dwight Howard show Mavericks what they’re missing in Rockets’ Game 1 win 9
- Derrick Rose looks like his old self as Bulls beat Bucks in Game 1 17
- Warriors strong enough to outlast Anthony Davis and Pelicans in Game 1 7
- Paul Pierce leads Wizards to overtime Game 1 win over Raptors 6
- Q&A: Corey Brewer on trade from Timberwolves, his 51-point game, Harden’s MVP case, Rockets vs. Mavericks 3
- PBT First Round Playoff Previews: Los Angeles Clippers vs. San Antonio Spurs 10
- Why the 2015 NBA playoffs feel wide open – but probably shouldn’t 6
- PBT Extra: Houston, Dallas simply do not like each other 3