Mar 5, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
CSN Houston premiered “The Dwight Howard Show,” a reality show featuring behind-the-scenes footage of the Houston Rockets center.
Early in the first episode, his explanation for his attitude caught my eye:
I enjoy life. For those of you who don’t know this, my mom lost seven kids. Seven! That’s a lot of kids. And I was supposed to be No. 8.
I was two months premature. Very, verry small baby. My dad could hold me in the palm of his hand – that small. That’s very small. I wasn’t supposed to be here. The doctor had my mom on bed rest for seven months.
I wasn’t supposed to be here. I made it! So, I’m happy. I’m going to smile. I’m going to enjoy my life. I’m going to have fun, because I wasn’t supposed to be here.
Howard’s mother discussed the miscarriages further in a 2010 Orlando Sentinel article, but I find Howard’s quotes here very powerful. This explains a lot about who he is.
Interested in learning more about about Dwight? Watch the video for clips of him joking with other NBA players, working out and more.
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 0
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 6
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 27
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 32