Mar 5, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
CSN Houston premiered “The Dwight Howard Show,” a reality show featuring behind-the-scenes footage of the Houston Rockets center.
Early in the first episode, his explanation for his attitude caught my eye:
I enjoy life. For those of you who don’t know this, my mom lost seven kids. Seven! That’s a lot of kids. And I was supposed to be No. 8.
I was two months premature. Very, verry small baby. My dad could hold me in the palm of his hand – that small. That’s very small. I wasn’t supposed to be here. The doctor had my mom on bed rest for seven months.
I wasn’t supposed to be here. I made it! So, I’m happy. I’m going to smile. I’m going to enjoy my life. I’m going to have fun, because I wasn’t supposed to be here.
Howard’s mother discussed the miscarriages further in a 2010 Orlando Sentinel article, but I find Howard’s quotes here very powerful. This explains a lot about who he is.
Interested in learning more about about Dwight? Watch the video for clips of him joking with other NBA players, working out and more.
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 6
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 17
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29