Mar 5, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
CSN Houston premiered “The Dwight Howard Show,” a reality show featuring behind-the-scenes footage of the Houston Rockets center.
Early in the first episode, his explanation for his attitude caught my eye:
I enjoy life. For those of you who don’t know this, my mom lost seven kids. Seven! That’s a lot of kids. And I was supposed to be No. 8.
I was two months premature. Very, verry small baby. My dad could hold me in the palm of his hand – that small. That’s very small. I wasn’t supposed to be here. The doctor had my mom on bed rest for seven months.
I wasn’t supposed to be here. I made it! So, I’m happy. I’m going to smile. I’m going to enjoy my life. I’m going to have fun, because I wasn’t supposed to be here.
Howard’s mother discussed the miscarriages further in a 2010 Orlando Sentinel article, but I find Howard’s quotes here very powerful. This explains a lot about who he is.
Interested in learning more about about Dwight? Watch the video for clips of him joking with other NBA players, working out and more.
- Timberwolves run newspaper ad announcing Kevin Love-Andrew Wiggins trade with Cavaliers 0
- Steve Nash called Kobe Bryant a “mother f****** a******” but in a good way 3
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 22
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54