Steve Nash maintains desire to return next season

Mar 4, 2014, 10:00 AM EST

Steve Nash, Mike D'Antoni, Gary Vitti, Steve Blake

Steve Nash’s season is over. At least, Mike D’Antoni thinks so.

Nash hasn’t played in three weeks, and he’s played just 10 games all season.

He’s also 40, the NBA’s oldest player. When you get that age, serious injuries aren’t viewed as potentially season-ending. They’re all viewed as potentially career-ending.

Nash isn’t ready to retire, though.

Mike Bresnahan of the Los Angeles Times:

Steve Nash clearly wants to return next season.

“I want to come back for sure,” he said Monday.

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Tuesday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Tuesday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Nash is prideful and competitive. He’ll almost certainly put in the work to come back.

And if that’s what he wants to do, the Lakers are probably better off keeping him than using the stretch provision. His $9,7091,000 expiring contract would hold trade value, and Los Angeles wouldn’t have to pay him in the summer of 2015, a stronger free agent year. If Nash can contribute, that’s only a bonus.

The only question is whether Nash’s body allows him to do so. These types of issues typically don’t get better with age.

1. borderline1988 - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:09 AM

Players don’t retire when they have $10 million left on a contract.

To say this isn’t about the money rather b/c ‘he’s prideful and competitive’ – that’s like Putin saying he’s invading Ukraine to protect Russians. Give me a break!

• sportsfan18 - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:24 PM

I know… but me, as a regular person I’d like to think that with on court earnings through this season of OVER $137 million in his career, his coming back next season would not be about money…

But who knows…

With next seasons $9.7 million, his career on court earnings will rise to $146.9 million.

I know he has not gotten a lot of endorsements but he’s gotten some over the years.

• con4dentual - Mar 5, 2014 at 4:29 AM

It’s not like Russia and who cares about Europe, of course the many ppl that were American Olympians that attended Sochi, but overall that has absolutely nothing to do with me, and I vouch to never again be apart of the Winter Olympics because now of this would have happened as far as story news media outlets the summer Olympics in Rio de Janeiro doubt dilma will go to war just cos America didn’t like having to be apart of Sochi anyways what that got to do wit Canadian

2. csbanter - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:11 AM

The golf course awaits, enjoy retirement wait a couple of seasons to be inducted into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame, its been a great ride but its over.

3. mnsadsportsfan - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Keep ca$hin those checks!

4. asimonetti88 - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:25 AM

If he wants to come back he will. Lakers will probably not use stretch provision on him, and stretch out his contract into years they’re trying to maintain cap space. Guess that means there will be another 5-10 games of Nash in a Lakers uniform.

5. shuttaman1990 - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:59 AM

He was a ring baby.
    We gon get him that.
    Lakers all day, watch out for the revenge.
    WAR READY!

• spursareold - Mar 4, 2014 at 12:24 PM

No way, no day. Lakers window is closed, and nailed and painted shut until Kobe’s RIDICULOUS contract comes off the books in 2016.

Enjoy the “Kobe chases all time stats” tour for the next two years, Laker nation.

• sportsfan18 - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:26 PM

exactly… Kobe is a liar when he says it’s all about championships… he took money even though he’s already earned a half a billion dollars between endorsements and basketball salary…

• shuttaman1990 - Mar 4, 2014 at 1:43 PM

spursareold
        yous a hater, haters like you never prosper woadie.
        Don’t quit yo day job.

lakers all day, kiss our rings.
        Next season WE WAR READY!

• unfrozencavemanlawyer2 - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM

Fo sho fo sho. Kneel before Kobe Beans, ya’all. He da True King- not some Miami imposter wannabe. He gots five chips and gonna gets at least two more. Kobe, Zombie Wilt Chamberlain, Caramelo’s, Kevin Loves and Phil Jaxon coming back to coach them all. Zombies and old players joining together in perfect symmetry to rule the NBA.

Lakers all day, Lakers all night. Lakers anytime makes you feels alright.

6. dablakdrphil - Mar 4, 2014 at 3:57 PM

*sigh* He was definitely my favorite PG when he was in his prime and as a Die Hard Laker Fan he really needs to retire. I know this is more about money than his desire to play due to the whole Child Support with his 3 kids and ex wife. If he does return (which is most likely the case) I hope he can have one healthy season or stay healthy the majority of the season. Looks like my Lakers may have to stink one more season cuz all the big name FA’s for summer of 2014 I don’t see them coming to LA until Mike D’antoni gets the hell out town

7. progress2011 - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:09 PM

The thing about employment is ….you have to be the BEST APPLICANT FOR THE JOB!

Steve’s resume looks GREAT if he wants to “come back” as a coach.

His resume goes to the bottom of the pile, if he want’s to be a point guard in the NBA

8. harshedmellow - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:07 AM

“Who knew” signing a point guard into his 40’s was a bad idea?

Oh. That’s right. I did.

Lakers have been bewilderingly STUPID lately. WTF?!

9. con4dentual - Mar 5, 2014 at 4:36 AM

Alright my opinion Kobe received at least 25 million this year and wasn’t worth it to me. Nash was about to get 10 million this year and we were aware of it, and he was like I’m ready to play basketball it’s like why because I can’t get the 10 million if I don’t play in the 10th game, and I could not understand. Blah blah blah I can contribute and help the team. It’s like ok you play 10th game get ten million haven’t seen you since. You sure contributed in helping. Now talk this article is sharing that you want to come back next season and get ten million dollars, which any nba player would want to do. I’m liking at this reading it right now and can not understand why like trump said your fired. Because this and this and that I don’t give a — get yo as the f– out my face. It’s that simple to me. But would understand if that doesn’t happen it like that and he play 10 out of 82 games and receives 10 million dollars and I don’t get it I dônt get it at all

Jabari Parker injury latest for disappointing rookie class
Top 10 NBA Player Searches