Mar 4, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
The entirety of Chris’s contract of $490,000 became fully guaranteed on opening night, but it cost New York more than $2 million when factoring in luxury tax penalties.
As the season began to get away from the Knicks and they realized that they could actually use that roster spot for someone who might be able to help the cause, Chris was waived, and J.R. immediately called it a betrayal. After all of this, Chris eventually landed with the D-League’s Erie BayHawks, but that relationship has come to an end under less than ideal circumstances.
League sources told ESPNNewYork.com on Tuesday that the younger Smith had several run-ins with the BayHawks’ coaching staff, which contributed to the team’s decision to release him.
And from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Before Erie released Chris Smith today, he had packed up and left team several days ago, source tells Yahoo. Didn’t like his playing time.
The D-League isn’t for everyone — the lifestyle is far less glamorous than that of the NBA, and players who are there are ridden harder by coaches because of the developmental nature of the environment.
It doesn’t matter whether or not we believe Chris’s claim that he earned his initial place with the Knicks. If he believes, it, then he may also feel he’s above dealing with the D-League as a step to return to an NBA roster, which is a shame — because regardless of how he’s gotten to this point, it’s still an opportunity that many players would kill for, and he just doesn’t seem all that interested in taking advantage.
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 0
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 8
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 16
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 14
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 23