Mar 4, 2014, 5:28 PM EDT
The entirety of Chris’s contract of $490,000 became fully guaranteed on opening night, but it cost New York more than $2 million when factoring in luxury tax penalties.
As the season began to get away from the Knicks and they realized that they could actually use that roster spot for someone who might be able to help the cause, Chris was waived, and J.R. immediately called it a betrayal. After all of this, Chris eventually landed with the D-League’s Erie BayHawks, but that relationship has come to an end under less than ideal circumstances.
League sources told ESPNNewYork.com on Tuesday that the younger Smith had several run-ins with the BayHawks’ coaching staff, which contributed to the team’s decision to release him.
And from Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo Sports:
Before Erie released Chris Smith today, he had packed up and left team several days ago, source tells Yahoo. Didn’t like his playing time.
The D-League isn’t for everyone — the lifestyle is far less glamorous than that of the NBA, and players who are there are ridden harder by coaches because of the developmental nature of the environment.
It doesn’t matter whether or not we believe Chris’s claim that he earned his initial place with the Knicks. If he believes, it, then he may also feel he’s above dealing with the D-League as a step to return to an NBA roster, which is a shame — because regardless of how he’s gotten to this point, it’s still an opportunity that many players would kill for, and he just doesn’t seem all that interested in taking advantage.
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 78
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 36
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32