Andrew Bynum admits to jacking up shots from half court during Cavs practice

Mar 4, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT

Bynum Cavaliers Getty Images

When reports surfaced explaining the reason that Andrew Bynum was kicked out of a Cavaliers practice before ultimately being suspended and traded from the team, we obviously assumed the worst.

As it turns out, our assumption that Bynum was being so blatantly disrespectful that he would dare to launch shots well out of his normal range weren’t that far off — and it’s something he admitted to in a recent interview discussing the Cleveland situation.

From Candace Buckner of IndyStar.com:

He did not work well under coach Mike Brown’s detail-oriented structure. “It’s kinda like, if I send you to the grocery store and I give you three choices for peanut butter, you’ll probably pick one easily. But if I give you 25 choices, you might stand there for half an hour. Having it be too detailed may not always be the right thing,” Bynum says.

Also, Bynum raged against the shoot-first guards. During a practice, Bynum said that he launched a shot from midcourt, clearly out of the rhythm of the offensive play. Another day during a scrimmage, he did not like a call from assistant coach Phil Handy and mocked him as “a horrible referee.”

“Those are the two things I did,” Bynum says. “I did them on purpose because it was over there for me.”

Bynum said all the right things in regards to his new situation with the Pacers, the team with the best record in the East and the one with the best chance of upsetting the defending champion Heat in a postseason series.

It’s possible Bynum may have been spoiled a bit by his time with the Lakers, and isn’t equipped (or even willing) to deal with being on a team that isn’t in a prohibitive winning situation. But the chance in Indiana will certainly be his last if it goes awry, and we’re all still waiting to see exactly what he can contribute at this stage of his career on a consistent basis.

1. tampajoey - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:47 PM

Bynum just confirmed what we all already knew… he’s a spoiled ass!

2. tfoz5150 - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Garbage in, garbage out.

• stayhigh_247 - Mar 5, 2014 at 11:51 AM

dam, you know your franchise sucks when even dysfunctional Bynum critiques it.

• pbtunpaidwriter - Mar 5, 2014 at 2:14 PM

Bynum is a scumbag but that’s hilarious.

I’d pay to see a video of him jacking up shots from midcourt.

3. 700levelvet - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:49 PM

Just another NBA punk who gets way too much press for well… Being a punk.

4. beavertonsteve - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Bynum has always been immature, but the half court shots sound like he was trying to make a point to basketball black holes Irving and Waiters although in a pretty assinine way.

5. shanelsweet - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:53 PM

Honestly, how does any basketball fan root for this guy? It just makes no sense to me. Does this sound like the same guy that convinced Larry over dinner that he was worth signing? It doesn’t to me, and to have him now playing on a team contending for a championship just plain stinks.

• savvybynature - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:04 PM

His childish tantrums in practice and foolish antics while supposedly trying to recover from injury are one thing, but its the blatantly intentional elbows while he was on the Lakers that does it for me.
      Off hand I remember Gerald Wallace being a victim (who had broken ribs and a collapsed lung from it), JJ Barea (at the very end of a playoff sweep, the ultimate cheap shot) and I think Derrick Williams. Just a horrible, shameless basketball personality with no sportsmanship or class imo.

• savvybynature - Mar 5, 2014 at 10:32 AM

Oh yeah forgot this is a Lakers/Heat blog and I can’t talk bad about anything even remotely involving the Lakers (or the Heat and their flopping). My bad.

• 00maltliquor - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:27 PM

I LOVE ‘Drew!!! GOOOOOOO Bynum!!! Get to the Finals at least!!

6. elcapitanfiscal - Mar 4, 2014 at 9:58 PM

I wouldn’t hire this guy for anything..

7. ballin99999 - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:08 PM

I can’t help but laugh just because anytime you think Andrew Bynum can’t possibly do anything more absurd…..he goes and does something like this and totally redeems himself

• pharohislife - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:53 PM

Reedems himself?

• paleihe - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:18 PM

I’m pretty sure that’s a Dumb & Dumber reference.

8. loungefly74 - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:09 PM

I’m sorry…but I just laugh when I imagine AB launching that half court shot…and Coach Brown boiling inside thinking , “damn, am I gonna have to kill this dude?” yeah, LA may have spoiled him…his career will continue to go down hill which is crazy since he is what? 25?!

9. thevikesarebest - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:24 PM

The Knicks did not have a game today,yet still managed to lose.

10. chucknorrissinspiration - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:40 PM

I’d give that guy job of wheel barreling concrete around for a hundred dollars a day, see if he comes to his senses then.

11. sportsfan18 - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:45 PM

Such a true professional… he doesn’t deserve to play in the league…

No work ethic.

Even if he’s unhappy with the bosses, he should be there for his teammates.

Why would a group of guys who cares, trains hard and wants to win want someone who shows so little effort, professionalism and work ethic?

Yeah, he’s 7 feet and can play… BUT he’s shown just as much if not more of the other side of himself.

A team’s chance with his is less than 50%

He’s lucky he’s still young. If he doesn’t make in the league next seasons, I see him out of basketball for a few yrs and then when the money is almost gone he’ll come to his senses.

He’ll tell folks he’s grown up and try to get back to the game he loves playing (that’s code for making a lot of money as every city has a bank you know?).

12. ddogdaddy - Mar 4, 2014 at 10:48 PM

After reading the comments I had to re-read the origional story. Surely I must have missed the part that the half court shot he took in practice killed a kid holding a puppy and due to being called “a horrible ref” it made the assistant coach feel so bad that he had to quit his job and all he does all day is watch films dealing with animal husbandry. Way to go Andrew Bynum.

13. 00maltliquor - Mar 4, 2014 at 11:29 PM

Andrew is a pro’s pro.

14. campcouch - Mar 5, 2014 at 1:35 AM

Really? If someone told you to go get peanut butter and you saw 25 brands,you wouldn’t be able to figure out to just buy a jar?

15. kavika6 - Mar 5, 2014 at 6:06 AM

I would lose respect for my team if they signed him.

16. ddarqwon - Mar 5, 2014 at 7:01 PM

“It’s kinda like, if I…give you three choices for peanut butter, you’ll probably pick one easily. But if I give you 25 choices, you might stand there for half an hour.” Bynum says.

I laughed a little at the hilarity of this statement.
    Then I felt a little sad inside at the realization of how dimwitted Bynum must really be.

17. neko123 - Mar 6, 2014 at 7:34 PM

‘But the chance in Indiana will certainly be his last if it goes awry…’ Dude this is wistful thinking on your part. As long as Bynum can rebound, block shots and score points he will remain in the league. A guy with his size and skill set is rarer then hen’s teeth. The Heat picked up Greg Oden who never did anything significant in the pros on the hopes that he MIGHT contribute something, anything… Bynum doesn’t love the game, but he loves the NBA life-style. Just by being a 7 footer who’s won championships will be enough to entice the next GM to give him a chance if Indiana lets him go.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches