Mar 3, 2014, 6:20 PM EDT
The good news: Lawson is returning.
Chris Dempsey of The Denver Post:
The bad news: It’s almost certainly too late for this season.
With no viable alternative point guard, the Nuggets went 1-9 in Lawson’s absence, their slim playoff hopes drifting away.
Lawson will help. He’s an All-Star-caliber player, and it’s only a matter of time until he’s recognized with the honor.
Before that, maybe he’ll help the Nuggets win a few extra games this season. Denver will send the lower of its and New York’s first rounders to Orlando, so tanking could help the Nuggets – but not as much as a typical lottery team.
Really, Denver should just enjoy having its whiz-bang point guard back in the lineup and get some momentum going toward next year.
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8
- Kobe, Shaq discuss regrets over feud that ended their Lakers era 52