Mar 3, 2014, 8:00 AM EST
The MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference was held in Boston this past weekend, the eighth in an annual series intended to bring the sports world and the advanced statistics community together to discuss common areas where the two fields can share and benefit from an increasingly abundant amount of raw data that measures athletes performing at the highest levels.
There were plenty of panel discussions and research presentations attended, so here’s a summary of the highlights of what went down over the two-day experience.
– Tanking and the draft that seems to incentivize it were ongoing topics at the conference, and on the basketball analytics panel Friday, Raptors GM Bryan Colangelo admitted to trying to tank for a high draft pick a couple of seasons ago. However, he wasn’t exactly able to achieve his desired result.
– One of the more interesting and honest discussions came on a negotiation panel that featured a professor from the Harvard Business School moderating a talk between Rockets GM Daryl Morey and Warriors GM Bob Myers. The two NBA men were very open in discussing their personal shortcomings where negotiations are concerned, and Morey and Myers shared some unique inside information on how thw Dwight Howard free agent frenzy last summer affected each of their respective franchises. (Hint: It caused Morey to actually call up Mark Cuban to try to trade for Dirk Nowitzki.)
– The most interesting research paper presented from a basketball perspective may have been the one to address the Hot Hand theory, which has been widely debunked in the past. The new research took into account information from SportVU cameras that wasn’t available to previous researchers, and the conclusion was that the Hot Hand does actually exist, and that players believe in it and act accordingly — Perhaps not surprisingly, J.R. Smith was one of the textbook examples.
– Not everyone at the conference was 100 percent on board with advanced statistical data and its immediate implementation, at least not without first evaluating who exactly is putting it all together. Stan Van Gundy was amazing on the basketball analytics panel, and explained frankly and in detail why the data may not mean much to those actually running the team from a basketball standpoint if it’s only being assembled by statisticians as opposed to those who are highly experienced in the game itself.
– NBA Commissioner Adam Silver appeared at the conference on Saturday, and had an extended conversation with Malcolm Gladwell about a variety of topics. The draft lottery system and the perceived issue of tanking were among the more interesting, and while Silver continues to define tanking differently than the rest of us, he at least appears to be very open to looking at ways of changing things so that losing, in any capacity, won’t be at all incentivized in the future.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:25 PM EST
Following Pistons basket, Cavaliers run awesome insta-fastbreak
Jan 27, 2015, 8:27 PM EST
One Clipper has a better chance than the other
Jan 27, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
The best news may be the return to the classic dunk contest format.
Jan 27, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
Barring any setbacks with hand injury
Jan 27, 2015, 5:59 PM EST
The Atlanta Hawks, is there anything they can’t do?
Jan 27, 2015, 5:15 PM EST
My gaming experience suggests you talk a lot of trash to the guy next to you.
Jan 27, 2015, 4:29 PM EST
Not a huge shock coming from Barnes.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:30 PM EST
It essentially uses increased jock tax revenue to pay off the bonds.
Jan 27, 2015, 2:40 PM EST
Shumpert dribbled it off his foot against the Thunder, then tweeted the clip.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:55 PM EST
Players like a routine, a rhythm to games, and the Lakers are chaos theory.
Jan 27, 2015, 1:10 PM EST
The East is so bad that the Pistons are still within reach.
Jan 27, 2015, 12:30 PM EST
This is the third consecutive year Bryant has had his season prematurely ended due to injury.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:50 AM EST
Hollins was reportedly not brought back in Memphis because of an aversion to the use of advanced statistics.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:10 AM EST
New York doesn’t want to offer Galloway any guaranteed money for next season.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Matt Barnes intentionally fouled Danilo Gallinari late, and Shaw believes free throws should have been awarded.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EST
Jan 27, 2015, 9:10 AM EST
Five of the six players in the field are set.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EST
She tweeted out a vote for him, and she has 18.8 million followers.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EST
Then he finishes it off with a dunk of his own.
Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant?
Jan 27, 2015, 2:02 AM EST
Jamal Crawford had a monster night, too.
- It’s official: Zach LaVine, Greek Freak Antetokounmpo headline All-Star Dunk Contest 7
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 8
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 33
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 16
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 30
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 10
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5