Mar 3, 2014, 5:29 PM EST
The Brooklyn Nets already made history.
Now they’re going to make a roster move.
The Nets signed Jason Collins to a 10-day contract, making him the first openly gay athlete to play in a major North American team sport. That contract expires Tuesday, so Brooklyn will reportedly give him another deal.
The Brooklyn Nets will sign center Jason Collins to a second consecutive 10-day contract, league sources told Yahoo Sports.
The Nets have gone 3-1 with Collins, so they’re probably not looking for reasons to dump him. When teams win, they often want to keep everything – even the unhelpful elements – in tact.
In 34 total minutes, Collins has three points, four rebounds, three steals, four turnovers and 10 fouls – hardly great box-score production. But box-score stats have never reflected Collins’ true value. More troubling, Brooklyn’s defensive rating is 118.2 with him on the court.
Small-sample caveats apply, but the Nets will have an interesting decision when this second 10-day contract expires. At that point, the Nets can sign Collins for the rest of the season or not at all. Sometimes, teams defer that choice and sign other players to 10-day contracts before choosing one for the rest of the season. That could happen with Brooklyn and Collins.
I think the Nets, as previously reported, plan to keep Collins through the end of the season. But this second 10-day contract will give them a little longer to determine whether they want to stick to that plan.
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 13
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 30