Mar 3, 2014, 9:30 AM EDT
Breath easy, Pistons fans.
Isiah Thomas – reported to be a top contender to replace Joe Dumars as Detroit’s general manager – is not being considered, the team says.
A spokesman for Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores called a report that the team is wooing Isiah Thomas as its next general manager “absolutely false.”
“He is not a candidate for any job with the Pistons,” Barnhill wrote about Thomas.
Mark Barnhill, a partner in Gores’ Platinum Equity, wrote in an email to MLive that he and Gores had dinner with Thomas a couple weeks ago in Los Angeles but the upcoming Bad Boys reunion “was the sole topic. Period.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
That the Pistons denied the initial report so vehemently speaks how toxic Thomas is. Part of that is failing so badly in his last job as general manager, and part of that is failing in the world’s largest media market. The former explains why Thomas doesn’t deserve the Pistons’ (possibly soon-to-be vacant) GM job, and the latter explains why everyone knows it.
The Pistons could have just not responded, as they likely would to most rumors. But even being perceived to be linked to Thomas has become damaging.
Welcoming him back for a championship reunion is one thing, but hiring him as general manager is entirely different. I know that. You know that.
The Pistons want to ensure we’re aware they know that, too.
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 0
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4
- Jim Buss defends Byron Scott as Lakers coach, “He has the Laker blood in him” 24
- Jim Buss open to the idea of Kobe Bryant playing beyond this season 31
- Derrick Rose on sexual assault suit: “I am confident I will be proven innocent” 4
- Report: Kyrie Irving likely not back opening night, could be out until January 14
- Legendary Sixer, backboard-shattering dunker Darryl Dawkins dies at 58 14
- After Rio Olympics next summer, who takes over at Team USA coach? 8