Mar 3, 2014, 9:30 AM EST
Breath easy, Pistons fans.
Isiah Thomas – reported to be a top contender to replace Joe Dumars as Detroit’s general manager – is not being considered, the team says.
A spokesman for Detroit Pistons owner Tom Gores called a report that the team is wooing Isiah Thomas as its next general manager “absolutely false.”
“He is not a candidate for any job with the Pistons,” Barnhill wrote about Thomas.
Mark Barnhill, a partner in Gores’ Platinum Equity, wrote in an email to MLive that he and Gores had dinner with Thomas a couple weeks ago in Los Angeles but the upcoming Bad Boys reunion “was the sole topic. Period.”
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
That the Pistons denied the initial report so vehemently speaks how toxic Thomas is. Part of that is failing so badly in his last job as general manager, and part of that is failing in the world’s largest media market. The former explains why Thomas doesn’t deserve the Pistons’ (possibly soon-to-be vacant) GM job, and the latter explains why everyone knows it.
The Pistons could have just not responded, as they likely would to most rumors. But even being perceived to be linked to Thomas has become damaging.
Welcoming him back for a championship reunion is one thing, but hiring him as general manager is entirely different. I know that. You know that.
The Pistons want to ensure we’re aware they know that, too.
- Report: Stephen Curry, Klay Thompson to participate in All-Star weekend’s Three-Point Contest 7
- Three Things We Learned from NBA Monday: Is it time to mention Anthony Davis with LeBron and Durant? 21
- PBT Extra: Who should be the All-Star Game reserves? 15
- Report: Kobe Bryant “definitively coming back to play next season” 29
- Kemba Walker to have knee surgery; Hornets looking at trades for depth while he is out 6
- Kobe Bryant to have surgery on shoulder, is done for season 9
- PBT’s Weekly NBA Power Rankings: Hawks continue to fly high 5
- Kobe Bryant wanted to sign with Michael Jordan’s Wizards 7