Mar 3, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
In the most recent documentary video (via Grantland) about Steve Nash’s attempt to return to the NBA following a nerve root issue, you can see he is shaken when he learns of the “stretch provision” of the new CBA. He was afraid if he didn’t return this season the Lakers would use this provision — they can waive him and stretch his $9.7 million cap hit out over three seasons — and he would never play in the NBA again. So he worked hard to get back on the court.
Now the nerve root issue has returned and Nash could be done for the season. Meaning he may have played his last game.
Lakers’ coach Mike D’Antoni said not to expect Nash back on the court this season, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
Mike D'Antoni says he "doubts" Steve Nash plays again this season, but wouldn't rule him out—
Dave McMenamin (@mcten) March 03, 2014
This isn’t a surprise, the only question is if the Lakers bring him back or use the stretch provision.
Nash said if the Lakers do that he will retire.
Don’t be surprised if they bring him back, however. The fact is unless the Miami trio decide to break up — and that is highly unlikely — this is not a great free agent summer. The Lakers really are targeting 2015 (Kevin Love) and beyond. Why spread out the pain of the Nash contract into those years, better to take one big hit and keep him around as large salary to move if Minnesota or another team decides they want to talk trade.
Which means Nash will have another summer to work, another chance to leave the game on his own terms. Which is how a two-time MVP should go out.
By the way, don’t expect Kobe Bryant back this season, either.
Kobe's return this season looks less likely. D'Antoni: "The doctors haven't cleared Kobe so it's a non-issue right now." Only 6 weeks left.—
Mike Bresnahan (@Mike_Bresnahan) March 03, 2014
- USA Basketball announces 12 man roster for World Cup; Parsons, Hayward, Lillard, Korver cut 0
- USA Basketball cruises to exhibition win over Puerto Rico with final roster cuts looming 1
- Report: Timberwolves to end up with Thad Young, Anthony Bennett as part of Kevin Love trade 79
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 13
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 16
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 18
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 20