Mar 3, 2014, 4:25 PM EDT
In the most recent documentary video (via Grantland) about Steve Nash’s attempt to return to the NBA following a nerve root issue, you can see he is shaken when he learns of the “stretch provision” of the new CBA. He was afraid if he didn’t return this season the Lakers would use this provision — they can waive him and stretch his $9.7 million cap hit out over three seasons — and he would never play in the NBA again. So he worked hard to get back on the court.
Now the nerve root issue has returned and Nash could be done for the season. Meaning he may have played his last game.
Lakers’ coach Mike D’Antoni said not to expect Nash back on the court this season, reports Dave McMenamin of ESPNLosAngeles.com.
This isn’t a surprise, the only question is if the Lakers bring him back or use the stretch provision.
Nash said if the Lakers do that he will retire.
Don’t be surprised if they bring him back, however. The fact is unless the Miami trio decide to break up — and that is highly unlikely — this is not a great free agent summer. The Lakers really are targeting 2015 (Kevin Love) and beyond. Why spread out the pain of the Nash contract into those years, better to take one big hit and keep him around as large salary to move if Minnesota or another team decides they want to talk trade.
Which means Nash will have another summer to work, another chance to leave the game on his own terms. Which is how a two-time MVP should go out.
By the way, don’t expect Kobe Bryant back this season, either.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13