Mar 3, 2014, 3:25 PM EDT
There is no easy answer to tanking in the NBA — if there was it would have been fixed already.
Mavericks’ owner Mark Cuban went on the Dan Patrick Show Monday and said there may not be a way to fix it — franchises that are struggling sell their fans on hope, of striking it big in the lottery and that changing the team’s fortunes is a real hope. If you fix the incentives to tank but kill the idea of bad teams having hope then you have messed with their business model. And the NBA is a business first and foremost. Don’t ever forget that.
Cuban and Patrick also discuss the one-and-done rule nobody likes — Cuban again advocates for the D-League as a path — and some other NBA topics.
- PBT Extra: Spurs lead Texas winners in NBA Free Agency 0
- J.J. Redick: Clippers deserve “F” for free agency after losing DeAndre Jordan 19
- PBT Podcast: Free agency’s winners and losers 0
- Report: Boston Celtics agree to trade for David Lee for Gerald Wallace 17
- Report: Kevin Garnett to re-sign with Timberwolves 17
- Report: Mo Williams signing with Cavaliers for most of their MLE 24
- Report: Cavaliers, Clippers discussing Jamal Crawford for Brendan Haywood trade 26
- Reports: David West agrees to veteran minimum deal to play for Spurs 80