LeBron James wants to attend Zydrunas Ilgauskas’ jersey retirement – in Cleveland

Mar 3, 2014, 9:06 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers' Zydrunas Ilgauskas rests his head on the shoulder of LeBron James in Cleveland Getty Images

LeBron James, to nobody’s surprise, is the all-time leading scorer in Cleveland Cavaliers history.

Who’s No. 2?

Zydrunas Ilgauskas, one of the most underrated of the previous generation of NBA players.

Ilgauskas overcame serious injuries to claim the Cavaliers’ franchise record for games played and made two All-Star games. He possessed a nice touch around the basket and used his 7-foot-3 frame to rebound like many players that tall struggle to do.

The Cavaliers built a losing roster to tank for LeBron, and after acquiring him, they cleared out the riffraff. But they kept Ilgauskas, and he and LeBron grew close. Ilgauskas even followed LeBron to Miami for a season, though Cleveland has apparently gotten over that defection.

Saturday, the Cavaliers will retire Ilgauskas’ jersey.

The Heat play at San Antonio on Thursday and Chicago on Sunday. Would that two-day break allow LeBron to attend the ceremony?

LeBron, via Tom Haberstroh of ESPN:

“I want to be there, but we’ll see. I’m not sure just yet,” James said. “I think it’s going to be a great day for my friend, a dear friend of mine. I’m excited for him.”

Of course, whenever LeBron returns to Cleveland, it’s a spectacle. Haberstroh:

would the reigning MVP’s presence take attention away from Ilgauskas?

“I hope it doesn’t, if I’m able to make it,” James said. “It’s not my day, it’s not about me. It’s about Z. But it wouldn’t matter to me. Obviously I’m there for a dear friend, to be able to support him, if I’m able to make it, and that’s the main thing.”

LeBron being there would take away from Ilgauskas, but that’s fair to neither LeBron nor Ilgauskas. If they want to share this occasion together, they shouldn’t let Cleveland fans deter them.

Those two brought the Cavaliers to their highest levels. It would be nice if fans would respect both of them enough to let Ilgauskas have his moment. Of course, they wouldn’t, which is in there rights.

But I hope LeBron attends and he and Ilgauskas just block out the noise.

Latest Posts
  1. LeBron’s 30-point performance leads Cavaliers to hard-fought Game 2 win over Celtics

Apr 21, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT

Boston Celtics v Cleveland Cavaliers - Game Two Getty Images

LeBron had 30, Kyrie Irving added 26 to give Cleveland the 2-0 lead in the series.

2. Chandler Parsons out for Game 2, maybe rest of Rockets series

Apr 21, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT

Devin Harris, Chandler Parsons, Trevor Ariza AP

Devin Harris also out Game 2 for Mavericks

3. PBT Extra matchups to watch: Spurs look for ways to contain Chris Paul

Apr 21, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Expect to see a lot more Kawhi Leonard (and Danny Green) on Paul from the start.

4. Report: Suns’ Morris twins charged with aggravated assault

Apr 21, 2015, 4:51 PM EDT

Phoenix Suns Media Day Getty Images

The twins were allegedly part of a group that beat up a man outside a rec league basketball tournament.

5. Hawks’ Al Horford says he will play in Game 2 despite finger injury

Apr 21, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT

Al Horford AP

Horford is going to have work to do on the defensive end slowing down Brook Lopez.

6. Brilliant spoof: Zach Randolph’s deep thoughts on cats, shirts, more

Apr 21, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Well done, Zach Randolph and the Memphis Grizzlies.

7. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

8. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

9. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2