DeMar DeRozan wants to know where he’d get picked in 2009 re-draft

Mar 3, 2014, 12:30 PM EDT

Warriors Raptors Basketball AP

Imagining how previous NBA drafts would play out in hindsight is always fun, an instant debate starter for basketball fans. I’m sure we’ve all wasted a countless hours analyzing questions like:

That last question interests even DeRozan, who’s apparently a basketball fan just like the rest of us.

DeRozan, via Eric Koreen of the National Post:

“I think Chuck [Hayes] brought it up. We were saying that if we did my draft class over, where would guys [be picked] now,” DeRozan said on Sunday evening. “Chuck brought it up. It was kind of funny and made me think about everybody in my draft class and what they’re doing now. There are not too many that are … playing and getting a lot of minutes.”

Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.

Stephen Curry (No. 7 in the actual draft), Blake Griffin (No. 1) and James Harden (No. 3) would definitely remain ahead of DeRozan, and Ty Lawson (No. 18) would pass him. That puts DeRozan in the 5-9 tier with Taj Gibson, Jrue Holiday, Tyreke Evans and Ricky Rubio.

It would come down to team need and fit.

At minimum, DeRozan wouldn’t fall – which is a credit to how much he’s progressed this season. An All-Star, he’ll be a strong candidate for Most Improved Player.

But the draft – despite Hasheem Thabeet (No. 2) and Jonny Flynn (No. 6) being high-profile busts – wasn’t quite as weak as DeRozan implies. Just getting minutes doesn’t mean he’d necessarily move up.

Several players in the draft have put together a single strong season, and DeRozan joined that group this year. Whichever player(s) in his tier consistently produce impressive seasons will jump above the rest.

When DeRozan is re-drafting his class next year, if he’s having as strong a season as this one, he can safely put himself higher. Until then, where he belongs in the 5-9 range is up to debate.

1. ravenswhat - Mar 3, 2014 at 12:58 PM

Hmm…what would his numbers look like away from the Raptors on a decent team? He would def not be a 1st or 2nd option. Prob more in line with a guy like lance stephenson’s numbers on a good team.

2. doc305 - Mar 3, 2014 at 2:14 PM

As a Heat fan, I don’t have much to complain about. But I still can’t let go of the 09′ draft…. Beasley is a good player, and I have high hopes for him in the future, but I still wonder what could have been with my Heat had they drafted K Love, or Westbrook, or imagine if Miami would have received the number 1 overall pick and picked Rose.paired with Wade, could have been one the greatest back courts in history!
    Oh well, I guess I will just have to make due with the current roster…

• biasedhomer - Mar 3, 2014 at 3:20 PM

You do realize Beasley went the year before DeRozan? (But if you did know that, why in the world are you bringing it up in a topic about the 2009 draft?)

• doc305 - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:55 PM

lol. did you read the article? it started by mentioning the ’04 draft. The entire article was basically about how hindsight makes looking back at drafts differently, which is what i was doing… but as I stated in my comment I will have to live with what I have ( which is obviously better than anything that could have happened via draft, that is where I was using subtle sarcasm…. get it?)

• pharohislife - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:45 PM

Oh wow fun, Let’s sit and regret not drafting Westbrook and Kevin Love in the 2008 Draft. Sir you are a Heat fan. I don’t want to hear any regrets or complaints from yall. Because whatever draft mistakes yall did or did not make, yall ended up getting Lebron James. Draft differently and maybe that doesn’t happen.

You don’t have to sit and wonder if Rose and Wade could have been one of the best Duos. Because yall literally have one of the best Duos as we speak. So yea if I was you I’d rather have Lebron and Wade over Rose and Wade, or Love and Wade or any other combination.

3. mattyheisman - Mar 3, 2014 at 4:17 PM

I remember the T’wolves had 2 top six picks that year(i think top six) and totally blew it. Nevermind taking two point guards(Flynn and Rubio) which was asinine anyway,not making one of them Stephen Curry or Ty Lawson was unbelievable. Not too surprising considering the GM at the time was maybe one of the worst ever. Does Flynn even still play in the NBA?

• tuberippin - Mar 3, 2014 at 10:43 PM

Nope. Last played in the NBA in 2011-12 for Portland. Since then he’s played in Australia and China, but is not playing anywhere presently.

Can’t blame Kahn entirely though. Timberwolves as an organization have drafted poorly since the new millennium.

’00: Igor Rakocevic #51
      ’01: Forfeited 1st-round pick; Loren Woods #45
      ’02: Forfeited 1st-round pick; Marcus Taylor #52
      ’03: Ndudi Ebi #26; Rick Rickert #55
      ’04: Forfeited 1st-round pick; Blake Stepp #59
      ’05: Rashad McCants #16; Bracey Wright #47
      ’06: Brandon Roy #6; Craig Smith #36, Bobby Jones #37, L. Mavrokefalidis #57
      ’07: Corey Brewer #7; Chris Richard #41
      ’08: OJ Mayo #3; Nikola Pekovic #31; Mario Chalmers #34
      ’09: Rubio #5; Flynn #6; Ty Lawson #18; Wayne Ellington #28; Nick Calathes #45
      ’10: Wes Johnson #4; L. Babbit #16; T. Booker #23; P. Prestes #45; H. N’Diaye #56
      ’11: Derrick Williams #2; Dontas Motiejunas #20
      ’12: Robbie Hummel #58
      ’13: Trey Burke #9; Andre Roberson #26; Lorenzo Brown #52; Bojan Dubljevic #59

Compounding that…in 2006 they traded Brandon Roy to Portland for Randy Foye, who they later let walk. In 2008 they traded Mario Chalmers to Miami, creating a need to draft more PGs in 2009. In 2009, They kept Flynn and Rubio but traded Ty Lawson to Denver. In 2010 they traded a decent backup PF in Trevor Booker to Washington. In 2013 they traded Trey Burke to Utah. That on top of three forfeited first-round picks and twenty-one different picks that failed to carve out a role for themselves in the NBA. And the worst of all is that almost every time the TWolves have had a top-10 pick they’ve managed to screw it up (Wes Johnson #4, Derrick Williams #2, Jonny Flynn #6, Corey Brewer #7).

I don’t know who does the talent evaluations over there, but the job they are doing is just terrible.

4. pharohislife - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:03 PM

And do people really wonder who should’ve went higher between Bosh and Melo, I don’t think so. For me it always been who should have went higher between Wade and Melo. My answer being Wade with that. But of course I’m drafting Melo over Bosh.

5. conjecture101 - Mar 3, 2014 at 5:35 PM

I don’t think it’s a sure thing at all that Ty Lawson would pass him. Derozan has never gotten much respect from the blogosphere, an indication of the medium’s lack of true NBA wisdom, one that speaks to their egotistical spewing of shallow analysis. Now that Derozan has already made a mockery of NBA bloggers across the country, even if he doesn’t get any better, said bloggers are starting to frame the re-writes of their now laughable narratives, in which they blabbered with absolute certainty that Derozan would never amount to anything noteworthy.

6. tomcreanshair - Mar 3, 2014 at 7:25 PM

Inasmuch as the Wolves should have drafted Rubio/Curry back-to-back, they actually DID draft Lawson-then promptly traded him…..

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches