Mar 3, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
Asked what he thought of a “Melo to Chicago” sign in the stands during the Knicks’ loss to the Bulls on Sunday, Carmelo Anthony didn’t simply pass on the question like most in his situation would have.
“It was a good sign,” Melo said with a laugh. “It was a good sign. I don’t know what you want me to say about that.”
So, Melo wants to join the Bulls as a free agent this summer? Or he likes being courted by Chicago, even if he has no intention of reciprocating the interest? Or he thinks the sign was well-designed?
Whatever you read into his quote probably reflects what you wanted to see happen before he uttered it.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
At minimum, though, Melo’s press conference should make the Knicks even more concerned about their chances of keeping him. It wasn’t just that he liked the sign. He also called New York’s season “embarrassing” and “frustrating.”
With no cap room and few assets, the Knicks will likely return a similar roster – plus or minus Melo – next season. Would he really want to return to that? If so, why? Serious. Why?
“I can’t even see next year. S—, I can’t even see tomorrow at this point, man” Melo said. “It’s hard for me to focus on that while going through the journey right now.”
I guess that’s relatively good news for the Knicks, whose future is dismal. Better keep Melo’s mind off that fact, though they’d be better served with a different distraction than their miserable present.
- Why I am going to miss Steve Nash 26
- Victor Oladipo out indefinitely after taking elbow in practice, suffering facial fracture 13
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: New Orleans Pelicans 9
- Five teams poised to make a big leap forward this season 5
- Steve Nash to miss entire 2014-15 season with ongoing back injuries 69
- Jeanie Buss: ‘Any free agent that would be afraid to play with Kobe Bryant is probably a loser’ 71
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Memphis Grizzlies 8
- Five top candidates for NBA Rookie of the Year 30