Mar 3, 2014, 11:30 AM EST
Asked what he thought of a “Melo to Chicago” sign in the stands during the Knicks’ loss to the Bulls on Sunday, Carmelo Anthony didn’t simply pass on the question like most in his situation would have.
“It was a good sign,” Melo said with a laugh. “It was a good sign. I don’t know what you want me to say about that.”
So, Melo wants to join the Bulls as a free agent this summer? Or he likes being courted by Chicago, even if he has no intention of reciprocating the interest? Or he thinks the sign was well-designed?
Whatever you read into his quote probably reflects what you wanted to see happen before he uttered it.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $80,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Monday’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $9,000. Starts at 7pm ET on Monday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
At minimum, though, Melo’s press conference should make the Knicks even more concerned about their chances of keeping him. It wasn’t just that he liked the sign. He also called New York’s season “embarrassing” and “frustrating.”
With no cap room and few assets, the Knicks will likely return a similar roster – plus or minus Melo – next season. Would he really want to return to that? If so, why? Serious. Why?
“I can’t even see next year. S—, I can’t even see tomorrow at this point, man” Melo said. “It’s hard for me to focus on that while going through the journey right now.”
I guess that’s relatively good news for the Knicks, whose future is dismal. Better keep Melo’s mind off that fact, though they’d be better served with a different distraction than their miserable present.
- Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game 6
- Damian Lillard “disappointed,” “disrespected” not to make All-Star team 41
- DeMarcus Cousins replaces Kobe Bryant in All-Star game 10
- Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy 8
- Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn 14
- Three Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The All-Star Rosters need to be expanded 29
- One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol 7
- Report: Dwight Howard could miss “extended time” with knee injury 5