Mar 2, 2014, 12:30 PM EST
Danny Granger was set to make his debut for the Clippers on Saturday, after signing with L.A. following a trade from the Pacers and a buyout from the Sixers.
But a mistake by Doc Rivers when submitting his lineup inadvertently left Granger off of the game’s active roster.
A day after formally joining the Clippers, the former All-Star planned to be in uniform when Los Angeles hosted the New Orleans Pelicans. Granger went through warmups at Staples Center before being informed he wasn’t eligible. …
Rivers said Granger would “ideally” be a starter for the Clippers because of his height and the flexibility to bring Matt Barnes off the bench as an energetic scorer. Rivers also likes Granger’s familiarity with most of Los Angeles’ defensive concepts, which are similar to the Pacers’ ideas.
“The whole key is how quickly we can get him acclimated, how quickly we can figure out what he does well,” Rivers said. “And he’s still coming back from the injury, so even though he’s back, he still needs more time and minutes.”
The lineup switch would place Granger in ahead of Barnes, who has earned that role with his play and has started in 19 of his 42 appearances for the Clippers this season.
It remains to be seen, however, what exactly Granger will be able to contribute to a team that was already humming along just fine without him. Granger averaged only 8.3 points in 22.5 minutes per game for Indiana this season off the bench, but perhaps a return to the starting lineup, where he has essentially been a fixture for his entire NBA career before injury, will help him more quickly return to somewhere near his customary level of production.
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 0
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 20
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 5
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13
- Nuggets have fired head coach Brian Shaw 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: Goran Dragic got his revenge in concentrated form 5
- League suspends James Harden one game for kick to LeBron James’ groin 23