Allen Iverson gets jersey retired in Philadelphia (VIDEO)

Mar 2, 2014, 4:11 AM EST

You’d be hard pressed to find someone more loved by the fans in the history of Philadelphia sports than Allen Iverson.

There were people turned off at first by his style — the cornrows, the tattoos, the guy bringing hip hop into the NBA — but they were won over by his effort, his passion, his love of the game. Iverson led the Sixers to the NBA Finals back in 2001.

Those fans let Iverson know just  how much they loved and appreciated him during the jersey retirement Saturday night.

1. drubyy1993 - Mar 2, 2014 at 6:08 AM

No matter what you say one of the best scorers EVER!

2. volcom2143 - Mar 2, 2014 at 7:21 AM

The greatest .

• antistratfordian - Mar 3, 2014 at 1:25 AM

I gave you a thumbs up anyway.

• daddyghi - Mar 3, 2014 at 8:07 AM

x_x

3. ranfan12 - Mar 2, 2014 at 7:36 AM

. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game last it’s my last but we’re talking about practice man. How silly is that?

4. bat42boy - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:18 AM

I have no use for this (practice, who needs practice) jerk with all those stupid tattoos. You couldn’t pay me enough to go see his jersey retired. As far as I am concerned the team is totally nuts for retiring his number. A good guy like Mark Price he is not.

• blueintown - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:46 AM

How delightfully crotchety of you. In the future, just save us the time and say “white”.

• deadeyedesign23 - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:49 AM

Oh boy how I long for a team of nice guys like Mark Price.

….

• blueintown - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:44 PM

bat42boy’s all-time starting five:

1) Mark Price
        2) Kirk Hinrich
        3) Hedo Turkoglu
        4) Tom Chambers
        5) Luc Longley

Head Coach: James Earl Ray

• ranfan12 - Mar 3, 2014 at 6:39 AM

Sucks for you then lol. They wouldn’t have went to the finals and won that one game against the Lakers without him though.

5. shanelsweet - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:42 AM

^^^^Why come here to leave this type of comment? You’ve got to live a pretty sad life to want to take a dump on somebody’s retirement ceremony.

6. billtetley53 - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:44 AM

Hey bat, aren’t you late for your Klan meeting? The 50’s called. they want your way of thinking back.

• 00maltliquor - Mar 2, 2014 at 8:12 PM

LMAO!!

7. lrical - Mar 2, 2014 at 9:42 AM

The reebok question mid. Best shoe ever.

8. srgpsycho - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:02 AM

What a enjoyment it was to watch A.I play the game. Too bad father time got the better of him. Wish he’d played in the East Bay!

9. ovaw8lova - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:02 AM

AI did so much for the little guy in basketball. He was the most athletic little guard I have ever seen. Unguardable by one player. Glad to see his jersey is being retired.

10. amoose3 - Mar 2, 2014 at 11:56 AM

LeBron was right, this guy is the best pound for pound player of all time. They replayed Game 1 of the 2001 Finals yesterday and Iverson basically played 1 on 5 at times and still dropped 48 on a Phil, Kobe and Shaq led dynasty. Incredible stuff. I wish more people played as hard as he did night in and night out.

11. spg3081 - Mar 2, 2014 at 12:09 PM

@bat42boy

I’m fairly surprised that you chose not to call him a thug as well. It’s not debate able as to if his public derision of practice was a bad idea. There are a large number of athletes in every sport that HATE practice & that choose to give less than their best effort during practice. This includes many beloved players. The one major difference between Iverson and 98% of them is they kept their lack of desire for practice (and lack of effort during) private. Another major difference between Iverson and many of those same guys (although nowhere near 98% of them) is the effort and heart that Iverson displayed when competing. It was a joy to watch an undersized guy with superstar talent and athleticism who was willing to play through injury – without fail, he was willing to push his body until it flat wouldn’t go any longer.

The furious criticism of Iverson’s practice attitude is ironic given how many people give less than their best effort in their professions, be it an every day lack of effort or one where they have a day here or there (or selectively choosing certain tasks) where they see fit to scale back their effort. Everyone has done it to an extent , leaving us unwilling to outright criticize our fellow co-workers in the same manner as we deride Iverson. Before anyone responds “well no one pays to watch me push paper around my desk,” please remember that you don’t have to pay to watch Iverson or any athlete. If you feel their effort is lacking then don’t watch. Don’t pay for tickets, don’t watch on TV. It’s really that simple.

Every NBA fan would be lucky to root for a team filled with guys that have even half as much “heart” as Iverson did. It’s unfortunate than his practice comments and the awful choices he’s made that have lead to financial ruins have led to many folks forgetting how tremendous a competitor Iverson was. The term “warrior” is seriously overused when referring to athletes. No matter how hard they play, “warrior” is not a befitting description. A warrior would be many of our soldiers overseas. That said, Iverson is one if the rare athletes who’s desire and drive almost make that a fitting description of them.

Mr. bat42boy, I feel a little silly right now. I built my comment around an argument that Iverson actually was one of the good guys on the court. After reading your comment one last time just now it dawned on me that your definition of a team of good guys would field John Stockton, Jeff Hornacek, Larry Bird, Kevin McHale, and George Mikan as it’s starting lineup. Sorry pal, I think the world has passed you by in that sense.

12. geejon - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:02 PM

What a lame retirement ceremony. I was expecting to be moved to tears …. instead I was BORED to tears. Who cares what Adam Silver had to say … if someone representing the league had to speak it should have been Stern who was NBA commish while AI played. You know he would have had some cool/funny story to tell. And then those lame-ass new owners … you weren’t around for AI, no one cares what you have to say about him and we cared even less about that stupid boat they mentioned like 3 times. Let Croce have a couple minutes. They should have let some former teammates from the Finals run say something as well. Nothing.

Contrast that with how Madison Square Garden does their thing. I happen to be a NY Rangers fan and you can ask anyone, their ceremonies are out of this world. Messier and Graves jersey retirements … there wasn’t a dry eye in the house. I cant stand the Knicks but I saw the Patrick Ewing ceremony … it was awesome.

Too bad. AI and the fans deserved better.

13. bballhistorian - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:16 PM

Most important ball player since Jordan retired from the Bulls. (Including Kobe/LeBron).

14. stayhigh_247 - Mar 2, 2014 at 2:46 PM

Bubba Chuck!!! 1st ballot!

15. mikecarter1135 - Mar 2, 2014 at 3:46 PM

Bubba Chuck a 757 legend Chuck been putting in work at Bethel High. Chuck was destined for greatness not to many make it out of Hampton/ Bad News. ALL HAIL ALLEN IVERSON

16. progress2011 - Mar 2, 2014 at 10:00 PM

What a Class Act by the Philly Ownership, coaches and city…..Gave me chills, so I can only imagine what he must have felt.

Imagine to be recognized like that just for doing what you love.

You may not love your job, but imagine if you were celebrated like this, for going to work…which is what he did….He put in WORK on opposing players ankles….hahahahahah

Watching highlights of him and that era of competitiveness, balanced with skill and fundamentals…..I MISS BASKETBALL!!!

Thanks AI for some wonderful “Entertainment” !

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches