Goran Dragic scores a career high 40 in win over Pelicans (VIDEO)

Mar 1, 2014, 2:00 PM EDT

Goran Dragic is having an All-Star season, even though he technically just missed out on being named to the Western Conference squad as an injury replacement.

Anthony Davis of the Pelicans received the nod instead, an obvious choice for the league given both Davis’ play and the fact that his Pelicans were hosting the weekend’s festivities in New Orleans.

Dragic got a bit of revenge against Davis on Friday, when he notched a career high for the second time in less than a week while pouring in 40 points on 14-of-21 shooting in his team’s victory.

1. captainwisdom8888 - Mar 1, 2014 at 2:07 PM

After having learned a great deal from Steve Nash, I felt strongly that Dragic would continue to develop into a serviceable NBA point guard, but I never could have imagined him having this much of an effect on games. Often times he proves to be the very best player on the floor, not the one with the biggest name, but simply the most effective guy on the floor in regards to both his own production and the extent to which he makes his teammates better. Every single team in the NBA could use a player like Goran Dragic…pure fundamentals.

2. tardyman - Mar 1, 2014 at 6:00 PM

Just like Steph Curry last year, we see another Western Conference point guard exploding for career games after being snubbed of an All-star spot… love watching him play

3. retxedfred - Mar 1, 2014 at 6:14 PM

I noticed how well he takes care of the ball after picking up his dribble on a drive. Impressive!

4. bhunter1995 - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:20 AM

Without him the Suns would be losing most of thier games in Bledsoe’s absence. That 1-2 with Dragic and Bledsoe is so dangerous, and the way that they can turn the jets on against any team is impressive. If they had maybe 6-7 wins I would say Dragic should be in MVP talks (just considered, KD is your MVP). At first I wasn’t a believer in Dragic, I viewed him as a second tier PG, basically just a starting quality guy. But he is playing like a bonified star, I just hope that he can keep getting better with age.

• bhunter1995 - Mar 2, 2014 at 1:21 AM

I meant to say 6-7 more wins

Stephenson goes elsewhere for his future
Top 10 NBA Player Searches