Feb 28, 2014, 1:27 AM EDT
Doc Rivers has been looking for some help at the three — Jared Dudley has not panned out as hoped and Matt Barnes is solid as a reserve but not the guy who starts on a contender. Rivers even tried Hedo Turkoglu in that role.
Now Danny Granger is going to get a chance.
Granger, who was traded from Indiana to Philadelphia, then arranged a buyout, has decided to come to Los Angeles, something first reported by the Indy Star’s Candice Buckner and since confirmed by others.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $110,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $12,000. Starts at 7:30pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This wasn’t a surprise. While the Spurs and other teams were interested the Clippers were considered the front runners almost from the start.
Granger may well not be the answer for the Clippers — there’s a reason Indy just moved him for Evan Turner. Granger has looked rusty and older, averaging 8.3 points a game for the Pacers this season with a true shooting percentage of just 49.1 and a PER of 10.4. He was never comfortable as the sixth man in Indiana.
Can a change of scenery help him out in Los Angeles? For the Clippers it is worth the gamble, they know they need something more if they are seriously going to contend. The Granger signing plus bringing in Glen Davis certainly does make the Clippers deeper heading into the playoffs.
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 10
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 28
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 38
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85