Feb 28, 2014, 1:27 AM EDT
Doc Rivers has been looking for some help at the three — Jared Dudley has not panned out as hoped and Matt Barnes is solid as a reserve but not the guy who starts on a contender. Rivers even tried Hedo Turkoglu in that role.
Now Danny Granger is going to get a chance.
Granger, who was traded from Indiana to Philadelphia, then arranged a buyout, has decided to come to Los Angeles, something first reported by the Indy Star’s Candice Buckner and since confirmed by others.
Just heard from a source close to Danny Granger that he's going to the Los Angeles Clippers. Will be there tomorrow.—
Candace Buckner (@CandaceDBuckner) February 28, 2014
Free agent Danny Granger informed Doc Rivers tonight that he will sign with the Los Angeles Clippers, league sources tell Yahoo Sports.—
Adrian Wojnarowski (@WojYahooNBA) February 28, 2014
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $110,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $12,000. Starts at 7:30pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This wasn’t a surprise. While the Spurs and other teams were interested the Clippers were considered the front runners almost from the start.
Granger may well not be the answer for the Clippers — there’s a reason Indy just moved him for Evan Turner. Granger has looked rusty and older, averaging 8.3 points a game for the Pacers this season with a true shooting percentage of just 49.1 and a PER of 10.4. He was never comfortable as the sixth man in Indiana.
Can a change of scenery help him out in Los Angeles? For the Clippers it is worth the gamble, they know they need something more if they are seriously going to contend. The Granger signing plus bringing in Glen Davis certainly does make the Clippers deeper heading into the playoffs.
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 11
- World Cup Preview: USA vs. Finland, what to expect 4
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 31
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5
- 67RIEFNS No. 1: Tom Thibodeau managing his bigs 22
- Derrick Rose knows injury questions will keep coming. And coming. And coming. 11
- FIBA World Cup preview: USA, Spain, then who else can medal? 2
- Official ‘Clippers’ Number 1 Fan’ on herself and Donald Sterling: ‘I’ll always feel it’s our team’ 21