Feb 28, 2014, 1:27 AM EDT
Doc Rivers has been looking for some help at the three — Jared Dudley has not panned out as hoped and Matt Barnes is solid as a reserve but not the guy who starts on a contender. Rivers even tried Hedo Turkoglu in that role.
Now Danny Granger is going to get a chance.
Granger, who was traded from Indiana to Philadelphia, then arranged a buyout, has decided to come to Los Angeles, something first reported by the Indy Star’s Candice Buckner and since confirmed by others.
Announcement: Pro Basketball Talk’s partner FanDuel is hosting a one-day $110,000 Fantasy Basketball league for Friday night’s games. It’s $25 to join and first prize is $12,000. Starts at 7:30pm ET on Friday. Here’s the FanDuel link.
This wasn’t a surprise. While the Spurs and other teams were interested the Clippers were considered the front runners almost from the start.
Granger may well not be the answer for the Clippers — there’s a reason Indy just moved him for Evan Turner. Granger has looked rusty and older, averaging 8.3 points a game for the Pacers this season with a true shooting percentage of just 49.1 and a PER of 10.4. He was never comfortable as the sixth man in Indiana.
Can a change of scenery help him out in Los Angeles? For the Clippers it is worth the gamble, they know they need something more if they are seriously going to contend. The Granger signing plus bringing in Glen Davis certainly does make the Clippers deeper heading into the playoffs.
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 21
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0
- Report: Pacers agree to four-year, $44 million contract with Monta Ellis 22
- Report: Greg Monroe signing a maximum contract with Bucks 56
- Lakers, Knicks struggle on hectic first day of free agency 64