Feb 28, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Oklahoma City, looking for depth and a good spot up shooter to round out their roster for a playoff run, may have found one in veteran swingman Caron Butler.
Despite early reports Butler was going to sign in Miami and backup Dwyane Wade (which means a lot of starts considering his knee maintenance plan), Butler has decided to sign with Oklahoma City, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
Caron Butler has chosen to sign with the Oklahoma City Thunder over the Miami Heat, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Butler informed teams of his decision on Friday morning, a league source told Yahoo Sports….
Despite close relationships and history with the Miami Heat, Butler decided that his best opportunity to make an impact and chase a championship belonged with Oklahoma City. Miami has lost out on the top two free-agent buyout players in Danny Granger and Butler.
Butler signed with the Bucks last off-season, going home to his native Wisconsin. But as the season fell apart in Milwaukee Butler and management there agreed to part ways and he was bought out of his deal. Butler is currently on waivers and is expected to clear them on Saturday and sign with OKC.
Oklahoma City is undoubtedly a contender and Butler fills a need — they would like a shooter who can help space the floor. Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook draw a lot of double teams and defensive attention that a good spot-up shooter can work off of — and that is what Butler is at this point in his career. This season 35 percent of his shots in Milwaukee came on spot ups and hit 41.9 percent from three on those and scored 1.08 points per possession (stats via Synergy Sports). He also can score in transition well.
He’s not going to help much defensively and he’s not going to create shots, but the Thunder have shot creators. Now they are about to add a veteran shooter to the mix.
One the Miami Heat could have used.
- Adam Silver: NBA stars playing in international competition face ‘a big risk’ 12
- Derrick Rose says he’ll play Friday vs. Puerto Rico 11
- Report: Don’t be so sure on Anthony Bennett to Philadelphia rumors 54
- Report: Nike gets chance to match 10-year, $265 million offer to Kevin Durant from Under Armour 17
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 18
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 34
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 32
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 11