Feb 28, 2014, 11:04 AM EDT
Oklahoma City, looking for depth and a good spot up shooter to round out their roster for a playoff run, may have found one in veteran swingman Caron Butler.
Despite early reports Butler was going to sign in Miami and backup Dwyane Wade (which means a lot of starts considering his knee maintenance plan), Butler has decided to sign with Oklahoma City, reports Adrian Wojnarowski at Yahoo Sports.
Caron Butler has chosen to sign with the Oklahoma City Thunder over the Miami Heat, league sources told Yahoo Sports. Butler informed teams of his decision on Friday morning, a league source told Yahoo Sports….
Despite close relationships and history with the Miami Heat, Butler decided that his best opportunity to make an impact and chase a championship belonged with Oklahoma City. Miami has lost out on the top two free-agent buyout players in Danny Granger and Butler.
Butler signed with the Bucks last off-season, going home to his native Wisconsin. But as the season fell apart in Milwaukee Butler and management there agreed to part ways and he was bought out of his deal. Butler is currently on waivers and is expected to clear them on Saturday and sign with OKC.
Oklahoma City is undoubtedly a contender and Butler fills a need — they would like a shooter who can help space the floor. Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook draw a lot of double teams and defensive attention that a good spot-up shooter can work off of — and that is what Butler is at this point in his career. This season 35 percent of his shots in Milwaukee came on spot ups and hit 41.9 percent from three on those and scored 1.08 points per possession (stats via Synergy Sports). He also can score in transition well.
He’s not going to help much defensively and he’s not going to create shots, but the Thunder have shot creators. Now they are about to add a veteran shooter to the mix.
One the Miami Heat could have used.
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 8
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 43
- Report: Cavaliers trying to acquire other players to put in Kevin Love trade 54
- Report: Bulls making push to trade for Kevin Love 70
- Seven standout players from Las Vegas Summer League 10
- Maverick Carter: LeBron James and Dwyane Wade still speak nearly daily 37
- Red hot Ray McCallum leads Sacramento Kings to Summer League title with 77-68 win against Houston 3
- Lakers great Michael Cooper diagnosed with cancer 16