Feb 28, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
The Pelicans’ new look roster had potential — if all the new pieces could meld and Anthony Davis could start to blossom they would be a very interesting team the second half of the season.
Injuries undid that dream — Ryan Anderson led a list of key Pelicans who have had to miss significant time this season.
Jrue Holiday was part of that mix. The point guard had been out since Jan. 8 and now we know why — he just underwent surgery to repair a stress fracture in his right tibia, the team announced Friday. He will not return this season.
Holiday’s numbers dipped a little this season (14.3 points, 7.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game) but some mistook that for his game taking a step back — rather than having to score Holiday had a variety of weapons to set up and with that both his true shooting percentage and assist percentage actually climbed. He had a PER of 17.4 this season.
Holiday came to the Pelicans on a draft-day trade with the Sixers that sent Nerlens Noel back to Philly (he has yet to play). Holiday should be back next season healthy. If he and the rest of the Pelicans’ core is maybe then things get interesting in New Orleans on the court.
In the short term, Brian Roberts is your New Orleans point guard.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40