Feb 28, 2014, 5:54 PM EDT
The Pelicans’ new look roster had potential — if all the new pieces could meld and Anthony Davis could start to blossom they would be a very interesting team the second half of the season.
Injuries undid that dream — Ryan Anderson led a list of key Pelicans who have had to miss significant time this season.
Jrue Holiday was part of that mix. The point guard had been out since Jan. 8 and now we know why — he just underwent surgery to repair a stress fracture in his right tibia, the team announced Friday. He will not return this season.
Holiday’s numbers dipped a little this season (14.3 points, 7.9 assists and 1.6 steals per game) but some mistook that for his game taking a step back — rather than having to score Holiday had a variety of weapons to set up and with that both his true shooting percentage and assist percentage actually climbed. He had a PER of 17.4 this season.
Holiday came to the Pelicans on a draft-day trade with the Sixers that sent Nerlens Noel back to Philly (he has yet to play). Holiday should be back next season healthy. If he and the rest of the Pelicans’ core is maybe then things get interesting in New Orleans on the court.
In the short term, Brian Roberts is your New Orleans point guard.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 46
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18