It’s official: Danny Granger is a member of the Los Angeles Clippers

Feb 28, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT

Portland Trailblazers v Indiana Pacers Getty Images

Doc Rivers realized earlier this season that this Clippers roster was not going to be enough to contend in the West. Now during buyout season he’s gone and added some talent.

Glen Davis as the third big will be the most important addition — he’s solid and that makes him a massive upgrade over Ryan Hollins.

As expected, the Clippers now also have officially signed Danny Granger, the team announced. Granger had been traded from Indiana to Philly for Evan Turner, then Granger arranged a buyout with the Sixers. The former All-Star who has missed significant time the past couple years with knee injuries spoke with the Clippers official site:

“It’s still kind of surreal honestly,” Granger said Friday afternoon. “I’ve been in Indiana my whole career. I’ve always seen ‘Granger 33’ with Pacers on top of it. So, it’s going to be a change, but I’ll be happy.”

“I think I bring another dynamic,” Granger said. “I’m a bigger small forward. I can play the 4 as well. And I can shoot the ball and when you add that to the type of offense that we have: up-tempo, shoot a lot of threes, go out and space the court. That’s the kind of offense that I think I would thrive in.”

Granger certainly provides some depth at a position the Clippers have been lacking. Jared Dudley has been a disappointment at the three and now Matt Barnes has slid ahead of him in the rotation, plus J.J. Redick remains out indefinitely with a back injury.

I’m just not sold Granger is really much of an answer. He is certainly no savior.

Granger has looked rusty and older, averaging 8.3 points a game for the Pacers this season with a true shooting percentage of just 49.1 and a PER of 10.4.

More than that, Dudley has shot better than Granger everywhere on the court this season (stats via NBA.com.). The pair are identical on corner threes but Granger was better everywhere else — above the break threes (+2.8), in midrange (+18.1%) and at rim (+15.1%). Granger at this point isn’t really a better defender than Dudley either.

It’s still an upgrade for the Clippers, Granger provides more depth. But if Clipper fans think plugging Granger in at the three makes them a contender they are in for a shock.

Latest Posts
  1. Nets list Mirza Teletovic as ‘probable’ for Game 2 vs. Hawks

Apr 21, 2015, 2:43 PM EDT

Brooklyn Nets v Sacramento Kings Getty Images

Teletovic was originally ruled out for the season on Jan. 23.

2. Report: Spurs might get a free agent meeting with LaMarcus Aldridge

Apr 21, 2015, 11:50 AM EDT

Denver Nuggets v Portland Trail Blazers Getty Images

Another report has Aldridge at no better than 50-50 to re-sign with the Blazers.

3. Raptors’ Lou Williams: ‘Staying in Toronto would be ideal for me’

Apr 21, 2015, 11:10 AM EDT

Toronto Raptors v Charlotte Hornets Getty Images

Williams will be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

4. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Can Toronto keep Paul Pierce quiet on the court?

Apr 21, 2015, 12:14 AM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznptrkyze4nmfkytlhmjnjodc4mjk4mgq0nzixowuwndg2 AP

Pierce’s comments made him unpopular north of the border, but his play should bother the Raptors more.

5. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Dallas has to find a way to deal with Dwight Howard

Apr 20, 2015, 9:59 PM EDT

Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard Tyson Chandler, Dirk Nowitzki, Dwight Howard

He was simply the most dominant player in Game 1 of the Mavericks vs. Rockets series.

6. Man arrested after fight over who is better, Michael Jordan or LeBron James

Apr 20, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Miami Heat v Charlotte Bobcats - Game Four Getty Images

I could try to use logic and suggest that discussing the complete legacy of Jordan with the incomplete legacy of James is a fool’s errand. But this is the Internet, logic is not always welcome.

7. PBT Extra matchup to watch: Marcus Smart needs to take on Kyrie Irving challenge

Apr 20, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT

Kyrie Irving Kyrie Irving

What you want to see as a Boston fan is Smart embrace the challenge.

Mavericks need to contain Dwight Howard in Game 2