Feb 28, 2014, 6:31 PM EDT
Doc Rivers realized earlier this season that this Clippers roster was not going to be enough to contend in the West. Now during buyout season he’s gone and added some talent.
As expected, the Clippers now also have officially signed Danny Granger, the team announced. Granger had been traded from Indiana to Philly for Evan Turner, then Granger arranged a buyout with the Sixers. The former All-Star who has missed significant time the past couple years with knee injuries spoke with the Clippers official site:
“It’s still kind of surreal honestly,” Granger said Friday afternoon. “I’ve been in Indiana my whole career. I’ve always seen ‘Granger 33’ with Pacers on top of it. So, it’s going to be a change, but I’ll be happy.”
“I think I bring another dynamic,” Granger said. “I’m a bigger small forward. I can play the 4 as well. And I can shoot the ball and when you add that to the type of offense that we have: up-tempo, shoot a lot of threes, go out and space the court. That’s the kind of offense that I think I would thrive in.”
Granger certainly provides some depth at a position the Clippers have been lacking. Jared Dudley has been a disappointment at the three and now Matt Barnes has slid ahead of him in the rotation, plus J.J. Redick remains out indefinitely with a back injury.
I’m just not sold Granger is really much of an answer. He is certainly no savior.
Granger has looked rusty and older, averaging 8.3 points a game for the Pacers this season with a true shooting percentage of just 49.1 and a PER of 10.4.
More than that, Dudley has shot better than Granger everywhere on the court this season (stats via NBA.com.). The pair are identical on corner threes but Granger was better everywhere else — above the break threes (+2.8), in midrange (+18.1%) and at rim (+15.1%). Granger at this point isn’t really a better defender than Dudley either.
It’s still an upgrade for the Clippers, Granger provides more depth. But if Clipper fans think plugging Granger in at the three makes them a contender they are in for a shock.
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 3
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 1
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 31
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 8
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 47
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31
- Wisconsin State Assembly passes Bucks arena deal, clearing the way for Gov. Walker to sign 40