Feb 28, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The Indiana Pacers do plan on putting Andrew Bynum on the court in one of their uniforms.
Of course, that can only happen when Bynum is fully healthy and in condition and that is going to happen whenever it happens (I have gotten out of the Bynum timeline business, I’d rather be Carnival Cruise Line’s PR person right now).
Pacers coach Frank Vogel isn’t in the Bynum timeline business either other than to say “soon.” Bynum is working out 3-on-3 Vogel told the Indy Star.
Andrew Bynum practiced three-on-three Thursday, and Vogel said he was optimistic the 7-foot center would be ready to play soon. Soon doesn’t mean a week from now, the coach said.
“The goal is to get him to the point where he’s able to play every night,” Vogel said. “We don’t want him to play one game and sit three games….
“We know what we can expect from him when he’s healthy and in shape. He’s one of the best centers in the NBA,” Vogel said. “We’ve seen flashes of that in practice that he’s shown here.”
They saw flashes of that in Cleveland, too. It’s what is between the flashes that is the issue.
My guess is between now and the end of the season the Pacers will try to get him in a few games and then make a decision on what direction they want to go. Maybe he helps, maybe he doesn’t. If it ends up with the worst-case scenario then from the Pacers’ perspective at least he’s riding their pine and not a member of the Heat (as much as Larry Bird may publicly deny it people around the league say that was part of the motivation for bringing Bynum in).
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 17
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 29
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 5
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 47
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23