Feb 28, 2014, 4:49 PM EDT
The Indiana Pacers do plan on putting Andrew Bynum on the court in one of their uniforms.
Of course, that can only happen when Bynum is fully healthy and in condition and that is going to happen whenever it happens (I have gotten out of the Bynum timeline business, I’d rather be Carnival Cruise Line’s PR person right now).
Pacers coach Frank Vogel isn’t in the Bynum timeline business either other than to say “soon.” Bynum is working out 3-on-3 Vogel told the Indy Star.
Andrew Bynum practiced three-on-three Thursday, and Vogel said he was optimistic the 7-foot center would be ready to play soon. Soon doesn’t mean a week from now, the coach said.
“The goal is to get him to the point where he’s able to play every night,” Vogel said. “We don’t want him to play one game and sit three games….
“We know what we can expect from him when he’s healthy and in shape. He’s one of the best centers in the NBA,” Vogel said. “We’ve seen flashes of that in practice that he’s shown here.”
They saw flashes of that in Cleveland, too. It’s what is between the flashes that is the issue.
My guess is between now and the end of the season the Pacers will try to get him in a few games and then make a decision on what direction they want to go. Maybe he helps, maybe he doesn’t. If it ends up with the worst-case scenario then from the Pacers’ perspective at least he’s riding their pine and not a member of the Heat (as much as Larry Bird may publicly deny it people around the league say that was part of the motivation for bringing Bynum in).
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 50
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 15
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13