Manu Ginobili’s shoe disintegrates during game (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT

I have seen Manu Ginobili swat a bat out of the air during an NBA game, but I have never seen anything like that.

You just have to watch the video. With less than a minute to go in the first half Ginobili is in good defensive position sliding and trying to keep Rodney Stuckey from getting to the rim, and when Stuckey pulls up (and slips) Ginobili tries to plant his left foot — and his foot just goes right through the sole of the shoe, separating it. It’s wild.

To answer your question, we don’t know exactly what shoes Ginobili was wearing. He’s a Nike guy and Pounding the Rock suggests it is a Nike Air Max Closer IV or Nike Zoom Hyperfuse. I’ll take their word for it.

Either way that is maybe one of the stranger things I have ever seen on a court.

1. savvybynature - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:29 AM

Only Manu. Dude has a crazy game.

• asimonetti88 - Feb 27, 2014 at 10:44 AM

I’m glad he didn’t get hurt though! That could have been dangerous!

2. phillyfan11 - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:42 AM

I have never seen that before.

3. sportsfan18 - Feb 27, 2014 at 12:44 AM

Nike has egg on their face…

They need to make a donation to a charity of his choice or something…

Those 6 yr old Chinese workers that are tied down to their stations for 16 hrs a day aren’t putting out the quality anymore…

• 00maltliquor - Feb 27, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Nike doesn’t care, those were those cheap, ugly straight-to-Big 5 generic Nike’s that they sell for $49.95 or less.

• trevor123698 - Mar 15, 2014 at 9:31 PM

I won’t buy a shoe if it costs over 60 dollars and I own quite a few nice shoes. I have rasheed wallace AF1’s

4. paleihe - Feb 27, 2014 at 2:13 AM

Some eight year old Chinese kid is about to face a firing squad.

• apkyletexas - Feb 27, 2014 at 9:30 AM

Post of the decade. Awesome.

5. kavika6 - Feb 27, 2014 at 4:09 AM

Better that than his Achilles.

6. trevor123698 - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:01 AM

only a nike shoe could do that.

• trevor123698 - Feb 27, 2014 at 6:02 AM

it is truly amazing that these flimsy pieces of crap get sold the way they do. how does the average person even get away with playing in shoes that wouldnt last me a month. well i know the answer and its because most people dont put much wear on their shoes

• dedalus13 - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:31 PM

I m curious because I thought that all these shoes could be categorized whether in worse crap, same crap or better crap. Which ones would you recommend then?

• trevor123698 - Mar 15, 2014 at 9:29 PM

I like a solid shoe that you can feel it has some weight to it. Anything flimsy like a hyperdunk or a KD is not for me. Lebrons are something I would use but they cost 300 bucks. I personally practice in shoes most people probably wouldnt waer. I have 10 pairs of And 1 rocket 2.0’s in waiting that I bought in bulk for 20 bucks when they were on major clearance and also multiple pairs of pro model. I play alot outdoors so the rockets are used for that mainly. for PRactice indoors is My favorite is adidas pro model. The nikes on the market are alright but for the price of them I can never justify it. IF i used them daily for 2 months they are trashed and pretty much unsafe. I put a lot of force into cuts and all of that and move around the court quite a bit as I am a small guard.

for game shoes I pick off used kobes on ebay from people that wore them but never hooped in them. I make sure to ask about their use and have had some great luck. I would never pay the 150 or 200 bucks or whatever it is that kobes cost at full price

MY dream is to be able to hoop in the 1990s OG jordans because those shoes are incredibly solid. They are too damn expensve though. The new modernjordans are pretty flimsy so Those are off limits.

7. edwardemanuelson - Feb 27, 2014 at 7:30 AM

You’re the man, Manu! This should make Shaqtin’ A Fool.

8. topdawg4ever - Feb 27, 2014 at 3:59 PM

Wow. That was awesome!

9. progress2011 - Feb 27, 2014 at 7:22 PM

$150 U.S. Dollars for:

$5 worth of mesh
    $3 worth of rubber
    $5 a week labor to produce 50 pair

This is how a $10 pair of shoes perform….what do you expect…..hahhahahah!!!

I laugh every time I walk past the shoe stores and they have the colorful, mesh and rubber displays.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches