Feb 27, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
The NBA League office just gave DeMarcus Cousins his own punch to the gut.
The league suspended him one game for a punch to the stomach of Patrick Beverley in the Rocket’s easy win Tuesday night over Sacramento. Cousins will sit out Friday night against the Los Angeles Lakers (a battle for the worst in the West).
Cousins also was fined $20,000 for “verbally abusing a game official and failing to leave the court in a timely manner” following his ejection later that game. You can see the video or that incident above.
The punch happened just more than two minutes into the game and was subtle, there was no foul called at the time. The Rockets had the ball and Beverley fed Dwight Howard in the right post than cut through to the weak side and as he did Cousins put his arm out and punched him in the gut. It was pretty bad and deserved a suspension.
You can see the video by following this link.
Cousins has a history with the league that did not help his cause here. He has a league-high 15 technicals called on him this season, one more and he will get a mandatory suspension.
Cousins is a complex person who has worked to change both rein in his aggressive attitude on the court, and to change his public image. This does not help that cause in the least, although Cousins did apologize for the outburst.
- Hey John Wall/Dion Waiters, Stephen Curry says Warriors have best backcourt. And he’s right. 19
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Charlotte Hornets 3
- Kobe Bryant plans to play in all 8 preseason games for Lakers 3
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Miami Heat 8
- Mike Miller points to him being amnestied as start of LeBron James leaving Miami 14
- Kobe Bryant thinks he could physically play beyond contract extension 14
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5