Feb 27, 2014, 3:50 PM EST
The NBA League office just gave DeMarcus Cousins his own punch to the gut.
The league suspended him one game for a punch to the stomach of Patrick Beverley in the Rocket’s easy win Tuesday night over Sacramento. Cousins will sit out Friday night against the Los Angeles Lakers (a battle for the worst in the West).
Cousins also was fined $20,000 for “verbally abusing a game official and failing to leave the court in a timely manner” following his ejection later that game. You can see the video or that incident above.
The punch happened just more than two minutes into the game and was subtle, there was no foul called at the time. The Rockets had the ball and Beverley fed Dwight Howard in the right post than cut through to the weak side and as he did Cousins put his arm out and punched him in the gut. It was pretty bad and deserved a suspension.
You can see the video by following this link.
Cousins has a history with the league that did not help his cause here. He has a league-high 15 technicals called on him this season, one more and he will get a mandatory suspension.
Cousins is a complex person who has worked to change both rein in his aggressive attitude on the court, and to change his public image. This does not help that cause in the least, although Cousins did apologize for the outburst.
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 2
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 17
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 59
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 8