Feb 27, 2014, 3:50 PM EDT
The NBA League office just gave DeMarcus Cousins his own punch to the gut.
The league suspended him one game for a punch to the stomach of Patrick Beverley in the Rocket’s easy win Tuesday night over Sacramento. Cousins will sit out Friday night against the Los Angeles Lakers (a battle for the worst in the West).
Cousins also was fined $20,000 for “verbally abusing a game official and failing to leave the court in a timely manner” following his ejection later that game. You can see the video or that incident above.
The punch happened just more than two minutes into the game and was subtle, there was no foul called at the time. The Rockets had the ball and Beverley fed Dwight Howard in the right post than cut through to the weak side and as he did Cousins put his arm out and punched him in the gut. It was pretty bad and deserved a suspension.
You can see the video by following this link.
Cousins has a history with the league that did not help his cause here. He has a league-high 15 technicals called on him this season, one more and he will get a mandatory suspension.
Cousins is a complex person who has worked to change both rein in his aggressive attitude on the court, and to change his public image. This does not help that cause in the least, although Cousins did apologize for the outburst.
- Bugs Bunny teases the Jordan XXX in interview with Ahmad Rashad (VIDEO) 1
- Report: LeBron James calls the plays, Cavaliers coach David Blatt repeats them to team 48
- Kevin Durant says he’d ‘love to’ stay with Thunder his entire career, wants his jersey retired in OKC 12
- Anthony Davis says James Harden should be MVP 20
- Stop judging J.J. Redick by his Duke days if you haven’t already 7
- Thunder say Kevin Durant underwent successful bone graft surgery, will return in 4-6 months 4
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Monday: DeMar DeRozan went Harden on Harden 12
- Derrick Rose returns to full-contact practice, Bulls return date still unknown 13